1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Bought a 300mm F2.8 VR-any tips on shooting it?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by rooster32, Apr 21, 2007.

1. rooster32

rooster32

Nov 8, 2006
    Sandy, UT
    Well...I came across a really good deal on a 300mm f2.8 VR that the owner had bought at the end of January, but had to sell due to hardship. Too good to pass up so I jumped on it.

So...any tips on shooting this lens? The biggest lens I had prior is a 70-200 f2.8 VR.

I also bought a Gitzo 3530S and RRS BH-55 to hold it in place. Should this work or will I be wanting a side kick or some kind of gimbel (I have no clue about these).

Also think about getting a lens coat to protect it while shooting critters.

Any suggestions, hints or comments welcomed!

Thanks!

2. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    You will hurt yourself carrying that heavy lens around.
    Save yourself the agony and give it to me. :biggrin:

3. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Unless you really hate it, I personally would 'shoot with it' :smile:

4. rooster32

rooster32

Nov 8, 2006
    Sandy, UT
    OK...so if it's too heavy, I know who to ship it to and I now know to shoot with it and not at it:biggrin:

I already ordered a RRS plate for the lens. Wasn't sure if the extra $40 was worth replacing the entire foot.

Has anyone used the Kirk strap with the quick release attachment to carry the lens/camera?

My gitzo 3530S should be arriving today via the brown truck.

Thanks!

5. Hi:

Upon my return from our Arizona vacation, where I used my Bigma with the D200...

..... I picked up my pre-ordered AF-S VR 300MM F2.8G ED-IF AND tc17e II
    from my local camera store...

... a few days later my package came from Really Right Stuff:

.... Manfrotto swivel head, RRS Pro clamp and a replacement lens collar foot for the 300vr

... have been using these attachments for 2 days only on my velbon carbon fiber monopod.

.... the setup is great for bird photography... i mean following the little guys flitting around in the trees...

... have only shot with the t.c. attached .... at iso 320 and wide open at f4.8

,..... i snapped a yellow-rumped warbler up in a tree at a fair distance
    and some ring-necked duck about 100 plus yards away

** even with the teleconverter... i am so far very pleased with my purchase

... i also have a c.f. manfrotto tripod but have not used it yet with the 300 vr, since i currently want to be very mobile , during the warbler migration.

... soon as i get a chance to do the larger marsh birds, i will try the lens alone

*** i found the af to be so quick, that it worked faster than my brain...lol

... as far as the vr , is concerned... it is so good... that at first i had to check back with the store , wondering if it wasn't operating

,,, the combo rocks !

Chuck / Montreal / Canada.

6. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Chuck - can you post some of your shots?

7. Hi Chris b:

Love to show the few i have just taken with the 300vr

... but they are not on any site... i do not use smugmug or pbase

... i can email to anyone who want to see them

... contact me: chuckk@videotron.ca

...... ch

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.