Bought a Mac Book Air

I just got the latest model. 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB flash drive Thunderbolt port and 10" screen with Lion. So far I'm very happy with it. I looked long and hard at an iPad but decided to buy this. I like the small screen, light weight and full lighted keyboard.
I installed Lightroom3 and it's very responsive for adjustments. It's slow building a slideshow but the rest of the program runs well. I also like that Adobe Flash works. I'm installing a new version of iWork's for spreadsheets and word docs. So far I'm happy with it.

Westlake Village, Ca. and 20 mi NW of Prescott, Az
I just got the latest model. 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB flash drive Thunderbolt port and 10" screen with Lion. So far I'm very happy with it. I looked long and hard at an iPad but decided to buy this. I like the small screen, light weight and full lighted keyboard.
I installed Lightroom3 and it's very responsive for adjustments. It's slow building a slideshow but the rest of the program runs well. I also like that Adobe Flash works. I'm installing a new version of iWork's for spreadsheets and word docs. So far I'm happy with it.

Big congrats................. I assume you meant the 11" display. Let us know how it works out for you. Specifically, if the "small" screen is OK for editing.

cheers
JohnG

Big congrats................. I assume you meant the 11" display. Let us know how it works out for you. Specifically, if the "small" screen is OK for editing.

cheers
JohnG

You're right it's 11 inch. I don't really plan on editing on it very much. It more for a portable computer to job sites. I had a netbook that recently failed.

A little small for my taste, but I am sure it is nice and has a good travel and storage factors.
Flash drive is the future and the biggest issue I see is cost for now. It should be very fast working.

Congrats on the new machine! I picked up a MBP a few months back and I'm in love. I looked real hard at the air though and may still get one at some point. They are really nice!

cheers
JohnG

I owned an 11.6 and use LR3. It isn't really good for editing because of the aspect ratio. The vertical dimension is quite small and with any command bars on top or bottom of the screen you rapidly run out of real estate. It is great for viewing images because of the near 2:1 ratio, actually better than my iPad (no bars on top and bottom). I bought the 13" and like Goldilocks said: "this one is just right!"

Rich

I owned an 11.6 and use LR3. It isn't really good for editing because of the aspect ratio. The vertical dimension is quite small and with any command bars on top or bottom of the screen you rapidly run out of real estate. It is great for viewing images because of the near 2:1 ratio, actually better than my iPad (no bars on top and bottom). I bought the 13" and like Goldilocks said: "this one is just right!"

Rich

+1 on this I changed very quickly to the larger screen now happier.

I bought this for use on a construction site so for me the smaller and lighter, the better. I don't plan to use it for photos very much.

Exactly! You have to match the device with its intended use. Overall though, the compact size and relatively light weight is a real advantage. I love mine.

Rich

Me too! Just bought my 128GB 11" this week. I'm an iPad 2 owner and after a recent road trip I realized the iPad just wasn't going to cut it by itself when travelling and/or as a camera backup solution. The iPad is awesome for what it does but it's not a computer replacement... yet.

I went with the 11" for maximum portability to replace my Asus Netbook and I can fit both my iPad 2 and my MacBook Air in the laptop slot of my new Kata backpack. Very pleased with the dual device solution when travelling and together they don't weigh much or take up much space. the 11" is the ultimate road warrior solution and I also have Win7 on it with Bootcamp and VMware Fusion just in case I need Windows somewhere when I'm travelling.

As a recommendation, get the Speck SeeThru Satin Soft Touch hard shell case. It snaps on to the Air and adds virtually no weight or dimensions to the unit. Fabulous product that protects the Air and fits like a glove. Picked it up at the local Apple store for $59 in Canada. Ridiculously overpriced but a seriously well designed product so I'm happy with the purchase. Cheers!

Westlake Village, Ca. and 20 mi NW of Prescott, Az
Exactly! You have to match the device with its intended use. Overall though, the compact size and relatively light weight is a real advantage. I love mine.

Rich

Thanks for your feedback........... pretty much what I would have figured given my addiction to my 13" MBP. I can only image the 13" AIR to so much better given its size/weight advantage.

cheers
johnG

I am with you...just bought a 13" for myself and an 11" for my wife. They are both i5 models with 4gb of RAM and 128gb SSD drives.

I love the size of her 11" model, but the screen resolution just wasn't for me. I am very happy with my 13". And it's not exactly big either!

I've got the 2010 model MacBook Air 11-inch. It's hooked up to an Iogear KVM box so I can switch back and forth between my PC and the MacBook with a hot key. The KVM has a shared USB port, so both the PC and Mac can use the same hard drive; no Boot Camp and dual OSes required. With a 26-inch monitor, regular keyboard, and mouse, it works like a normal Mac, but I can unhook it in a few seconds and take a real computer with me on the spur of the moment when my iPad isn't enough. My iPhone's hotspot lets me access the internet with the MacBook anywhere. Very nice solution.

Latest threads

Top Bottom