Bought a Nikon 24mm 1.4...convince me

Just bought a Nikon 24mm 1.4 on somewhat of an impulse on ebay. Beachcamera had a new one for 2099 and with my 10% ebay coupon (which I did not want to go to watse) and with ebay bucks and ebates rebate, the total came to $1920 something.

I am nervous.

Convince me it was a good buy price wise as well as lens wise.

:eek::eek::eek:

It's on my wish list. Congrats and enjoy! :biggrin:

I feel that this will be one of the top prime lenses in Nikon's arsenal. I also feel that most people tend to pigeon hole this lens because it typically isn't wide enough for landscapes and not the best portrait lens. However, after viewing the numerous posts in the 24/1.4G thread, I feel that this lens offers a lot of versatility, especially due to its MFD of like 10 inches.

I don't get in a tizz about much, but the 24 1.4 gets me there. So does my 200 ƒ2.

The 24 1.4 is special, everyone knows that, and you purchased it right. No worries.

I don't get in a tizz about much, but the 24 1.4 gets me there. So does my 200 ƒ2.

The 24 1.4 is special, everyone knows that, and you purchased it right. No worries.

Hi Andrew,

Can you elaborate a bit on what makes the 24mm f/1.4 special? I've been fascinated by this lens but know very little about it.

Of all the newer wide angles primes, the 24mm/1.4G is probably the best. I enjoyed mine deeply and I intend to keep it for a long time.

To me, it is special because of these:
  1. high resolution
  2. nice color correction, thanks to the liberal use of ED elements
  3. spherical aberrations are very well corrected, thanks to large diameter aspherical elements

Below is a shot done indoors with mixed lighting and wide-opened. Noticed how round the point light sources are in the background, even the ones near the edge. Not many fast wide-angled lenses can perform this feat that well. This lens is, what I call, technically pleasing (like the 200/2VR).
5152914335_ec84fe6d0b_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Mike
If you take a look at my signature, I have a nice set of glass but I want a 24 1.4 and a 200 F2. Need, no. Want, yes. :rolleyes:

Hi Andrew,

Can you elaborate a bit on what makes the 24mm f/1.4 special? I've been fascinated by this lens but know very little about it.

To me it's as simple as the fact that it can be used effectively at max aperture, and in many circumstances it's going to produce a 3D effect. A lot of lenses come close, but this one delivers.

can i convince you the 24/1.4 is pure junk and that you should send it to me immediatly for disposal? :D

i'm sure you will love the glass. the 24mm focal length is very handy and wide enough for many applications.

enjoy it! (my next glass purchase will be the 35/1.4, 50/1.4 and 85/1.4 collection. i'd like a 24/1.4, but i'm still paying for the 14-24)

Real Name
Mike
Just bought a Nikon 24mm 1.4 on somewhat of an impulse on ebay. Beachcamera had a new one for 2099 and with my 10% ebay coupon (which I did not want to go to watse) and with ebay bucks and ebates rebate, the total came to $1920 something.

I am nervous.

$1920!? Dude, that thing costs £1895 over here with tax ($3084) in stock and $2633 on backorder. Buy it!

Cheapest here: €1719.- = $2449.-ish...

It's an amazing lens!!! Had a chance to test it in the shop... but damn the price!!!

I am nervous.

The time to ask questions like this was before you spent $1920 something.
Now, you'll just have to take some photos and then make up your own mind.

Real Name
Colin Carter
Nanobeast

with all due respect, only you can decide if the lens is worth the money for your needs and finances.

unless you are a lens collector, lenses should be bought because you have a need for them. Buying a lens, just because it gets good reviews, and then trying to find a use is not my way of thinking.

having said that, if you do have a use for it, it is probably the best fast wide angle lens on the market.

Cheapest here: €1719.- = $2449.-ish...

It's an amazing lens!!! Had a chance to test it in the shop... but damn the price!!!

I got it for a measly € 1650 actually. Nice time to buy it I guess.

The Americans are lucky their prices are so low, it's because of the lousy yen vis-a-vis the dollar rate currently that their prices are so swell. Our strong euro bites us in the *** this way :frown:

I got it for a measly € 1650 actually. Nice time to buy it I guess.

The Americans are lucky their prices are so low, it's because of the lousy yen vis-a-vis the dollar rate currently that their prices are so swell. Our strong euro bites us in the *** this way :frown:

Damn... I haven't seen it that low around here... Ahwell can't afford It anyhow :p! Currently shooting with the "poormans 1.4" prime in the 24-30mm range :)!! And It's not disappointing :D

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom