1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

BOUGHT: AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Ken-L, May 31, 2005.

1. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I am interested (working up to lust) in Nikon’s AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Lens.

I'm impressed with the shots and comments I have seen with the Nikon 70-200 VR lens, but for most of the shooting I do it is too long, especially with the 1.5x digital factor.

Does anyone have this lens?
    Anyone have first hand knowledge of it?
    The reviews I have read are good - how does it rate compared to the 70-200VR?

2. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Re: Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Lens

It isn't in the same league as the 70-200. It's a very good consumer grade lens, with a lot of nice features, but it's slow, which offsets a lot of the advantages of VR.

The 24-120 was my original "kit" lens, and I got excellent use out of it... but eventually upgraded to fast glass. It's one of the most controversial of Nikon's offerings. I started an owners' feedback thread on dpr a while back, and there are many useful comments and examples in it... plus a few food fights :lol:. Check it out.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1030&message=10861731

4. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Thanks both for the URL's, my searches didn't find these.

So far it seems to me to be a very good value at around $500.

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Ken :

It's a great "walking around lens" for the price. I carry one and use it frequently in city/suburban shooting, as it's got a fair WA and some reasonable "reach". It's also less obtrusive for people to see you using in a city...

If you want a much faster (aperture) zoom lens, you pretty much have to double the price to get there.

John P.

6. I just got back from Rome where I used a 17-55 DX and a 24-120 VR as my two lenses.

I've just had a quick look at my images, but so far I'm impressed with what the 24-120 did considering the comparison is the 17-55. The light was generally very good, of course. I'll post some images when I've had a chance to do some work on them.

7. Laryl

Laryl

May 30, 2005
    Yuma, AZ
    I use it for the walkaround lens when I only carry one.. The sea world photos, up in the hot air balloon, and on airplanes, the fireworks last nite... . I bet the majority of the photos in my pbase site are done with that lens.

I complain that it's soft then it's too sharp.. I really have to figure out when it's what, but have been having too much fun to analyze it... the fireworks last night were too sharp out of camera and I have sharpening set to low in camera, shoot in raw. I'm thinking some of the softness might be a little motion, or just the vr turned on? (logical combo of what I'm doing with those two huh).

8. Preston

Preston

May 2, 2005
    Reno, NV
    As with any lens it has its ups and downs. I have one and love it, espesially when I onlt take one lens as it has good range. However it is on the slow side, it is listed as a 3.5-5.6 however don't let the 3.5 fool you. By 28mm your at 3.8, by 35 your at 4.2, by 50 your at 5.0 & from 70-120 your at 5.6. As you can see most of this lens is at 5.0-5.6. It is not a bad lens though as I said I love mine but it has a specific purpose in my kit & it serves me well. Get one if you can however don't expect that because it has VR it is as good as the rest of the line up as it is not quite. I think that Nikon shoud have made "the Beast" VR for the price they are charging or maybe even the 18-70 too. Anyway, I hope this helps, yell if you have any direct questions.

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    For a slow lens it's great, if you can stop it down a couple clicks it'll be sharp as a tack. Don't think the VR will turn it into a low light lens though, nor does it help with sloppy technique. Here's my selection from this lens:
    http://radio.weblogs.com/0101365/stories/2004/09/07/photosTakenWithThe24120vrN.html

PS all those shots (even the waterfall) are hand-held. That's what VR can do with this slow lens.

10. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I recently got this as my "walk around" or "point and shoot" lens. For those times when I do not need the image quality that my prime lenses provide. It is a good focal range, doesn't weigh a ton, and like most lenses it is best stopped down. The VR comes in handy for low light, hand held, static shots.

I can not personally compare it to a 70-200vr because I don't have one. From what I have read the 70-200vr will go in the history books as a legendary peice of glass. The 24-120vr is a good lens but not legendary.

11. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Thanks everyone for your help!

Although I too like fast lenses, I'm not especially concerned with this one being slow. Rather it's the use as a "walk-around" lens with the VR assisting me avoid camera shake that I want. I seldom use my tripod - even when I should - so camera shake is my biggest concern. For that, this lens may be the right choice.

I certainly would like to have the 70-200VR, but I generally don't need a longer lens, and it's size precludes it as a "walk-around", at least for me. And, I would worry that if my lens were perfect there would not be any doubt that the lousy shots were my fault.

12. Hi Ken

I've posted some pictures from my Rome trip in the Landscapes forum.

https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=5018

One is with the 17-55 and all the others with the 24-120. I have to say the 24-120 is pretty much unbeatable as an all-purpose travel lens, especially when the light is good.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  13. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  14. Here's a Cuban art hanging on a hotel lobby wall. Taken with the 24-120VR handheld at less than ideal lighting.

[​IMG]

15. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

:eek:  Well, thanks for the help - I just bought the lens on eBay for $355.00 :p 

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Congrats Ken, show some pix when you get it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.