Bought this today: Kodachrome 25

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by AR90, Aug 10, 2008.

1. AR90

AR90

Jan 9, 2006
    Netherlands
    Hello,

As a freshmen on the film forum I'd like to do a little introduction about myself. I am Michael and have a F100 (and some other non film camera's) I am quite enthusiastic about film since half a year now.

Now some 3 months ago I read this and I was stunned about the quality. I've ordered some 20 rolls of Kodachrome 64 and 2 rolls are now out for development.

But last week I ran into this

koda25.jpg

Is is a 20 pack of Kodachrome 25 Professional. There is one big BUT and that is the expire date. It is 8-1988 :eek:. I Bought it anyway and am very curious how this will end.

Has anyone else used film this old ?

2. oooooooooo
    folks will be very excited to see your images
    great purchase
    i'm anxious to see as well

where is Chris101?
    i hope he sees this thread
    he'll help guide you, if you choose
    and will eagerly follow your progress, as well

3. braver

braver

Apr 2, 2008
    netherlands
    wow...interesting! The way I understood it, if properly stored, low speed film will be ok for quite a while past the date. But 88 is something else though. Makes you wonder why noone bothered to shoot this pack in the mean time? :)

4. AR90

AR90

Jan 9, 2006
    Netherlands
    Hi Greg, Thanks for your support, I appreciate it, I am exited and very curious about this purchase. It has to come over from the UK to the Netherlands, lets hope there are no x-ray scanners on the way. I think I'll try one film and let it develop. Let's see what comes out of it.

Koen, that was exactly what I was thinking, what a waste to not use this film at its best. Now let's see what becomes of it. :smile:

5. Michael,

I think you should send me 3 rolls for testing!!! I used to shoot bricks of this stuff. Wow! I suppose that you know that the only place in the world to get this film developed is Dwayne's in Kansas City. I had a chance to get some Kodachrome 120, but there is nowhere left to get 120 processed since Dwayne's closed down their 120 line.

As for the date, as long as it was in the freezer, it should be OK. But I would carefully test one roll and have it developed before starting to shoot this film.

6. As said above, I would shoot a test roll and have it processed before I shot anything that was a one time affair. I will guess the film should be just fine and don't worry about x-rays with ISO25 film. I just got a roll back from Dwaynes with a 2002 expiration date that has only been refrigerated and it is just beautiful...It makes me cry that the end will come. I've still got a few rolls of 25 left bought in Europe that expired about 2000, I don't worry about it...It's Kodachrome, it lasts forever....:biggrin:

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Expired twenty years ago, eh? Well, I would shoot up a roll and send it into Dwayne's before exposing any more. I had film in the fridge that long and it came out fine. So it's possible this will turn out fine.

(Thanks for the vote of confidence Greg! I'm afraid that I'm pretty much in the dark when it comes to Kodachrome. I haven't shot any since the eighties myself! :eek:)

8. Just a note of interest...

My local lab, The Lighthouse, in Bondi is run by an obsessive, compulsive silver halide addict. He has a large stash of 120 Kodachrome and is determined to find a way to get it developed. He has been nagging Dwayne's and Kodak to the point that they are considering giving him the chemicals to process K-14. Also not many people know or remember, but Fuji used to make a K-14 film and apparently Fuji still has a K-14 line running in Japan.

Unfortunately, there there has never been a viable E-6 alternate to Kodachrome.

9. Oh man! Talk about nostalgia and the good old days!!!!!! Sigh!!!!

10. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    120, huh? I understand that at one time they made 4x5 Kodachrome. Can you imagine THOSE transparencies? Wow! I have a large stash of Kodachrome transparencies which I have started scanning when I get a chance. They are still in great shape after forty years. Wonderful stuff.

11. Micheal, it was linked above, but you need to spend some time here...http://www.shorpy.com/4x5-large-format-kodachromes
    Be prepared for jaw dropping...:biggrin:
    One of my favorites...

[​IMG]

Link to full rez...http://www.shorpy.com/node/115?size=_original

Put that in yer D3 and smoke it...:biggrin:

12. Arghh... I wish I would have not followed that link... Those colors are just too good. Now you have me hankering to have my whole Kodachrome archive pulled from storage and shipped over from the USofA. Probably the closest we will ever come to Kodachrome will be with a D3 and careful post-processing. Sigh...

Who else remembers the little Kodak photo kiosks in the parking lots of the shopping centers where you could drop off your rolls of Kodachrome to be developed and restock your film supply with fresh K25 and K64. And anyone remember the fuss that surrounded the release of K200?

I may just have to get some K64 and shoot it... while I still can.

13. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    Yeah, I saw it later. Awesome just does not begin to describe the colors. 4x5 Kodachromes. They were something else again. I'm afraid that those days are gone for good. :frown:

14. braver

braver

Apr 2, 2008
    netherlands
    Hm, that can't be true right?

...I looked around on the net and apparantly it is so...wow...

15. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Wow I can't wait to see the result as well ! I've shot 10 year old expired film, but 20 is something else, especially Kodachrome :smile:

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Here is a thread from RFF where the poster shot some 20 year old K64. His examples show the kind of results you may get with your film Michael.

17. AR90

AR90

Jan 9, 2006
    Netherlands
    Thanks Chris, they still look awesome to me :)

18. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    Jealous!

Hey Michael,
    Probably stating the obvious here but do test for exposure (ISO).
    I would go at least +1.5EV.
    Good luck, I hope the film is pristine!

19. I have. If it was kept cold it might be reasonably good. A friend of mine had access to a bunch of old stuff kept cold where he worked. A lot of it was 18-20 years old. C41 stuff, but the negs looked great when we processed it.

20. AR90

AR90

Jan 9, 2006
    Netherlands
    Thanks all for being so helpful. My first delivery of Kodachrome 64 (exp. date next year) arrived today. Scanned some and I am very impressed by the looks of it. A very friendly coloured with a nice contrast. I've printed one on A4 paper and you cannot even detect grain or such.

For who is interested, a lot of 4 rolls of Kodachrome 25 (exp 2001) is now being sold on eBay. I an not able to buy them because I need the prepaid envelopes that are supplied here in Europe.

This is so different than shooting around with the D3. :smile:

My little fellow (I have three kids, this is the middle one)

image4s.jpg