1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Bouquet close-up work... (One more added)

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by lanthier, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Hi All,

We were supposed to have dinner with some friends and as a result of their illness, they canceled. So, we had gotten flowers for them, and you know what that means! The iris in the bouquet were just gorgeous and BEGGED to be photographed. Today, while avoiding some pesky work, I set up to capture them. Tripod-mounted D700 with 60mm micro (AFS). MuP, ISO 200, available light, and remote shutter.

1. ??? , f3.5, 1/15

I have seen this flower in many arrangements, but never with the small white flowers amongst the purple.

8132008bouq1-vi.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Iris I f16, 1/2

8132008bouq2-vi.jpg

3. Iris II f36 (!), 3 sec

8132008bouq3-vi.jpg

Because people liked the vertical orientation on the iris, I combed my shots for some other good ones... THere was one...

4. Iris III f36 (!), 2 sec

8132008bouq4-vi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2008
  2. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Hi Rich. Sorry your friends got sick and your dinner got cancelled, however I'm glad that something good came out of it in that you found something to shoot and also managed to avoid doing that pesky work that'd been haunting you.

I like the first image and really like the third. However I'm not too sure about the second to be honest, the whole thing seems to be too close to the bottom of the frame for my liking. The flower seems to suit the vertical composistion in no3 much better.

3. Thanks Robert, I wish I had spent some more time on the vertical and done more than just the experimental f36 shot. I also wish I had tried a different colored background than the wall! :wink:

I do have a few other comps that I might look at later tonight when I get back from the baseball game. No camera for this one, just a fun night out with my brother in law.

4. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    nice series Rich
    I too like #3 over #2

love #1, you know I'm a sucker for little DOF :cool: 

5. 3 over 2 for me, as well
    i like #1.... but the OOF yellow doesn't add to this image, for me

6. Yeah, I tried to balance those little yellow turds, but they don't really work. I should have pulled them out. Thanks Greg, good to hear critique, honest!:biggrin:

7. Thanks Frank, posted that one just for you :wink:! And Kevin, of course!

8. So pretty. I have a delphinium in my yard that looks just like the first one. I have some photos of it that aren't post processed yet.

9. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Although I prefer landscape format I agree that #3 fits the subject perfectly. Beautiful shots. I believe that D700 is in good hands.

10. Thanks Terri, so Delphinium, eh? Never knew what these were. In a lot of arrangements, so tiny and last forever, beautiful color....

Why thank you Torben. I am on my way this weekend into the mountains of SW Pennsylvania. I hope to get some more tries at hummers, and whatever else I might find. Time to pack up the gear...

11. DoF on the first one is nice, good stuff Rich.

12. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Thank you for the inspirations... beautiful work.

13. Thanks Phil! That bouquet is now long gone, just in from a trip to PA mountains, LOTS of subjects there...

Thanks for the kind comments Linda...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.