Critique Boxeo

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by the_traveler, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Before I write the text for this story on my site, I'd like to get some views to see if teh storyline is clear

TIA for looking and any comments.

Slideshow Boxeo

2. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    I see some boxers training. I don’t read anything more into it than that. The opening and closing images outside the training arena don’t add anything to it for me. It is missing context and I don’t feel a sense of conclusion when I get to the end. I don’t get a sense of high intensity or energy in the sparring. Not trying to be harsh. I’m just writing what I feel (or wish I felt).

3. Thanks, Walter.
    I appreciate honesty.

4. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    I like it ... gritty (y) Reminds of a place "Rocky's Gym" that a friend of mine used to train at.

I guess you could have slowed down the shutter somewhat and got fist-trails, but I got the mood regardless.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  5. To me, it's not so much of a story line as it is a nice depiction of some...can I say...primitive...training in another country. And I'm assuming it is another country from the images. I like it, and it makes me think that I should travel more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    I went back and viewed it a second time. I see a few images showing some energy (arms extended, making the "hit"), and I see a few that have have expressive faces. A few depict the coach "coaching". I'm still missing a really good opening image that catches me and reals me into the story. What is the story? Is this a depressed area and boxing is what they have to keep them out of trouble? I concede that boxing isn't my thing and there may be some underlying messages in the images I am missing as a result.

7. To me it is all about the boxing venue and the boxers are all props in the story. The story line is about this third world country and the contribution of the Boxeo Gymnasium as the young men come with hopes and dreams of improving their lives.

8. I like the second image the most as the person staring into the scene really draws me in. I also like the details in the third image.

Glenn

9. Thank you all for looking and commenting.
    This was shot in a local boxing club in Havana. Boxing and baseball are the two national sports and I saw small boxing clubs everywhere.
    It was interesting to watch. I don't understand Spanish and so the instructions of the manager to the boxers weren't understandable. What was clear was that the big guy, about 240 lbs, was supposed to practice defense only and the smaller guy was allowed to punch away.
    The big guy is ranked third in Cuba and had a thunderous punch. One right hand lifted the heavy bag and knocked it off its hooks.
    There was another trainer, former boxer, who had taken the name 'Kid Chocolate' in honor to a Cuban boxing great. I'd never been so close to a 'good' boxer and it was amazing to see him spar with a less experienced guy. He slipped every punch as if the other boxer was punching in slow motion and his hand speed was phenomenal. Unfortunately they were in a very murky part of teh gym and I didn't/could't get a decent shot of him.
    I hope to go back if I can arrange it.

10. The story line seems clear to me (if the story line is a couple 3rd world country boxers prepping for some sparring practice), but I think that the images have some issues (focus, composition, etc) that prevent me from embracing the set as a real narrative.

11. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    For me, the photos lack intensity, emotion and action of boxers in a fight. They are more casual images of a ho-hum sparring practice.

12. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    This was my impression too. You said it more succinctly.

13. raygun

raygun

Nov 17, 2007
    USA
    I used to go with my kids to their indoor track events that were held in mid-Winter in New Hampshire. The light was always horrible. I kept buying faster lenses and lower-high-iso-noise bodies, and still had trouble shooting the action to my liking. When I viewed your Boxeo slideshow, I had the same feeling where you were working in very poor light, attempting to freeze the perfect punch, and having a very hard time "nailing" it. In baseball, photographers have the "BOB" (bat on ball), so in boxing it must be a "GOF" (glove on face), which I missed seeing. I'm curious if you just walked in and asked if you could take photos, or if you arranged something in advance? If they are open to it, I wonder if next time you could bring an off camera flash with you that would let you bounce some light off the white walls, but not blind either boxer when fired? I also liked West's idea in some shots of slowing down the shutter speed even more to catch some "flow" shots. I think those would be excellent if you could use a tripod to freeze the background, while letting the boxers punch away. As they are now, the shutter speed you used was too fast for "blur" shots, but too slow for "freeze" shots. Finally, I did enjoy the environmental shots, as they gave the gym some context. I'd love to visit Cuba when it is finally free of dictators. :)

14. A shot of the big chap knocking the bag off its hooks would have been something. Perhaps worth going back for that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.