Boxing Anyone?

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by twig, Aug 30, 2005.

1. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Boxing is a LOT of fun to shoot, I thiink I like it as much as basketball for the pace of the action and the fact that the athletes are constrained to a workable space for you to photograph.

There is a new boxing series in NEw York City called boxing on Broadway, here is a shot from last Thursday night, a fighter named Dmitrit "Star of David " Salita pounding his opponent

[​IMG]

2. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Nice shot Twig!

I love shooting sports as much as anything else I shoot. I just wish I had the ability to get closer to more events than being a spectator in the stands. :Depressed

BTW, can you give the technical info on this shot as well as what camera and lens you used?

Joe

3. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    shot is with the D2Hs, 17-55 at 55mm, probably 1/500 f/2.8 and ISO 800 (the lighting was VERY good because HBO was shooting there that night, brighter than MSG)

I was next to the ringside judge, here are some more photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Thanks for posting the info and the additional shots Twig.

These are incredible shots, the color and skintones, the detail and expressions on the boxers are priceless.

Do you press pass or do you know someone associated with this series? How do you get so close to the ring to take your pictures?

Thanks for sharing,
    Joe

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very cool images. Boxing looks like a great sport to shoot, provided you have a good vantage point to shoot from. Job very well done, Twig.

6. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    I am fortunate to have press credentials for the event, that makes the difference.
    This event was unusual in that it was held in a theater, so there were lots of small balconies, and a fan could use a 200 or better 300mm and have a nice vantage I think from almost ring level. I will take a wide shot of the hall next time.

here are more pictures:

http://www.nycsportspics.com/boxing/

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2005