Boy I hope I'm right

Discussion in 'Birds' started by bfjr, Nov 30, 2005.

1. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Louie put up a very good LBH and some (me included) thought it might be a Reddish Egret...... and guess what lucky me got to shoot one today.
    Very similar but as Harry and others pointed out there are distinct differences.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice LGH shots Ben. :smile:

3. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Good capture of a reddush egret Ben.

4. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Hey Frank
    I passed along your ID to our resident expert. Well you know a picture worth a thousand words
    :tongue: :biggrin: :eek:

[​IMG]

5. Ben awesome work on the reddish...I went there on Sunday (Bolsa I assume) just to catch him again but it was a ghost town!

Great images :cool:

6. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Thanks Harry.

7. Ben, good shots of the Reddish Egret, nicely done.

louie

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Well, all I can say is, look at pages 62 and 63 of the National Audubon Society Sibley guide to Birds. Looks a whole lot like a LBH to me. :biggrin:

9. Isn't Sibley's guide the one that has artist renderings instead of photographs??

Are you teasing Ben or is it really a LBH? I always though it was a Reddish also...

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I'm not teasing, and I always thought that the Sibley guide was the authoritative source. If you wish though, you can check pages 89 and 91 of the Smithsonian Handbooks Birds of North America. It agrees with Sibley. :biggrin:

11. Who am I to doubt you, I'm photo newbie!!

I just was not sure if you were teasing is all with the big grin at the end...sometimes keyboards have a way of messing with sarcasm ;)

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Brett,

The big grin was to indicate that it really isn't the end of the world if I'm right or wrong, and that I was just pricking at those that had the gall to disagree. :eek:

Seriously, I'm very much a noob at this too. I'm learning right along with most everyone else here. I have been known to be wrong at least once (I think it was back in '92 :rolleyes:). Of course if you ask my wife, she might vote for a little higher total, and a more recent date. :wink:

13. Sorry Frank but its indeed a juvenile, first-year Reddish Egret. Look at Sibley again, and look at the 1st year bird. Note that the RE has grey legs; the LBH has greenish (not so apparent in the full Sibley guide but more apparent if you have the Sibley "Eastern" edition). Most importantly, the LBH would have to be an adult to be this completely dark grey (immatures are white, and then mottled as they grow to adulthood), and if it was an adult, it would have a bluish tinge to the base of the bill--not solid black as in this bird. This intermediate-stage bird is confusing, though--this isn't an easy one! The best indicator really is feeding behavior, which of course you can't see in this photo, although the second photo does give a little indicator of the RE's "dance step" routine :smile:

14. uh oh wait a moment...just where did you take this photo? Reddish Egret is extremely rare in Southern California. BUT...as it happens...one or more have been reported in Orange county this month!!

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    OK, having looked at the Sibley again, I admit that it could be a juvi RE. The primary indicator, as Janet points out, is the legs. Just another case of the learning that we can achieve here at the Cafe. :rolleyes:

16. Sweet shot hoping to get one this Feb down in FLAs

17. My latest in the Variety Pack thread I posted was about the legs making the difference too...

18. Beautiful shots Ben. Love the way the eye glows on the second one.

19. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Boy oh Boy I sure love the discussion here, and I must admit to some confusion myself (oh that's new, NOT :smile:) any way did some checking myself. Here's what Bolsa Rangers say "1st year Juvi REgret", they themselves were thinking LBH, but after watching and much head scratching Juvi Reddish Egret is the vote. Anyway very rare around here and there is only one so there watching to see what his/her pattern will be as season progresses, and so will us Westies :biggrin:

Here's a couple more shots of this feller's schizoid hunting :smile: :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey wait a minute here, didn't anyone like me little hawkie image :frown: :rolleyes: :biggrin:
    Now he feels bad :biggrin: :biggrin:
    [​IMG]

20. oh YEAH, now with those new photos there can be NO doubt. First of all, the unique hunting behavior--that's classic! And the shaggy head/neck feathers. I hope that this has been reported to the state Rare Bird Alert, because its quite rare in So. Cal! Great shots btw!