Boys are Yucky!! (updated with second image)

Discussion in 'People' started by tomj, Jul 3, 2007.

1. tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    or at least that's what my daughter's expression seems to indicate.

Some friends hired me to shoot their son but my daughter thought a group shoot was a better idea. Normally when shooting paying clients my daughter is not allowed to interfere with the shoot, but since this is her best buddy we couldn't keep her away.

Heres another image taken during the shoot. Not my normal preference for processing, but I felt it fit the mood.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2007
  2. Great composure and expressions!

3. tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Thanks Tim! I appreciate your kind response.

4. frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Priceless Tom!!
  5. #2 is excellent Tom. You are right, the pp does fit the mood.
  6. PAReams

Apr 4, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    #2 is a really interesting pp job. I like it too! Looks airbrushed.
  7. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Too Cute!!!!
  8. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    Love these captures Tom. I prefer the processing of the first....the second is a little overdone for me. It stands on it's own as a wonderful photo and I'd process it as such.

More great work from you!
  9. Tom, outstanding, my friend!! I love them both for their respective purposes...

Care to share your PP on the second? If you're like me you have no idea on exact settings/steps, but a general toolset overview would be stellar...
  10. Super Tom, love them both. Interesting processing on the second one.
  11. paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    Both are great. Definately would like to know about PP on the second. It reminds me of some of the posters you see of old stars.
  12. Fun images!! The first image really sums up the title and the second image is very creative.
  13. The second shot needs "Saturday Evening Post" above it. I really like what you did with it.
  14. tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Thanks so much everyone. I greatly appreciate all the responses to these images.

The PP on the second image was done by using Imagenomic "Portraiture" plug-in and the Lusis plug-in. I first made two duplicate layers and used "Portraiture" to add a little glow to the skin. I used the default setting for one layer and used the "tones" setting for the other. The image was then flattened and another duplicate layer was created. In the new layer I ran one of the Lucis filters on it, but I can't remember which one. After the Lucis filter, I then ran the "Portraiture" smoothing filter on it. I created a mask and erased areas where I wanted to keep more details. I did some other tweaks here and there but I have no clue what they were.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again guys

15. Tom, not sure if I like the PP of the second one, though it looks interesting - maybe just not the right type of picture for that PP type.

The first one made me smile. Funny expression and the portrait of the boy looks great for itself too! Well done.
  16. tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Thanks for the input Daniel. The more I look at this shot, I do think I may have gone a bit far with it. The reason I have been toying with this pp technique is due to a previous customer of mine whom I did some work for a year or so ago. I did a similar pp on an image of their son and they loved it so much they ordered a large canvas. Well, they have another child they want of similar shot with the same look. I have no clue how I even arrived at the original image I did for them so I have been experimenting. I'm still no where near duplicating the pp.
  17. Wow, I LOVE that second shot, VERY cool PP on it!! :biggrin:
  18. tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Thank you Gretchen!!
  19. sharkync

sharkync Guest

I enjoy both of these shots - but I am not completely sold on the PP of the second (but I love their expressions).