Boys LAX

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by mike mac, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Hey there guys I have been absent for a bit here, shooting LAX for the past two weekends 14 hours a day this past weekend having to stay over in Baltimore. On top of this my "real" job has been at a fever pace as of late with some big projects and some new building opening in the next few months.

These shots are from the Summer sizzle held just west of Baltimore MD it was a two day tournament, I shot 11 games both days, Together with another photographer took 10,000 pictures over the two days. It was hot but not to humid and the tournament was held in a rural area surround by cow pastures and cornfields. For some reason Field of Dreams kept coming to mind :cool:
    The level of completion was excellent and I got to shot some 15U on Sunday which is what is included in this post, it was fun to shoot the older kids.

The sun was blazing and very harsh which made exposure a tad difficult, that plus the fields were bone dry and not much grass left so at some spots it was a dust bowl.
    All shots with the D2X and the 300 2.8 with 1.4 tele with the HSC used in almost all pictures
  2. Once again another great series even under extreme conditions. Great job Mike!
  3. eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I was wondering where you were, I was fearful that SI snatched you up. Really nice LAX shots Mike, your trademark style is evident in these with tight crops, sharp as heck and pleasant color sats. Mike, in all but the last, are these crops right out of the camera or did you crop in post? Always a treat to see your shots Mike, just the motivator for us to get out and capture some play.
  4. Wow, outstanding shots Mike. I love the color in #1 and the expressions you caught in 9 and 10. I learn something every time I see your posts.
  5. The Clam and I agree, the color in No. 1 is intense, BTW what is the HSC?
  6. Outstanding as usual the goalie's expression in #5
  7. As always, just flat out top shelf shots Mike! Love them all.
  8. Wow, tack sharp and the color is perfect, outstanding pics.
  9. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful work Mike
  10. Scotty_R

Jan 1, 2006
    Fantastic shots, Mike...when you can see the color of their eyes, it doesn't get much better. A top notch professional job.
  11. biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Great job on all of them ,But # 1 is Killer.
  12. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    I am amazed by these. How did you keep the shadows and highlights so balanced. Are these out of the camera or postprocessed?
  13. you are the best !
  14. gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Mike, once again your images are off the charts! Outstanding!!
  15. Jeez I like those pix a lot! Normally I really like the individual shots since they isolate the player so well, but in #3 and the last one the action with the opponents is very nice. Well done!!
  16. Thanks Dave it was hot and long but still real fun
    Thanks Frank most of these have crops of less than 5 percent. I just croped to frame the action better, so most were close to full frame.
    Thanks Clam, I have enjoyed your Mets series, even though I am a Mets fan, you guys have access to great seats at Shea, I showed your shots to some guys who shoot with me who are big Mets fans are real jealous
    HSC stand for High speed crop mode. On the D2X it cuts your viewfinder in half and increases your frame rate to 8 fps. So basically you are cropping in camera
    The goalie was a paid request and I am sure I got a few his Dad will buy... I hope
    Thanks Peter
    Thanks so much
    Thanks girlfriend hope you are staying cool down in sunny FLa
  17. snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    Ditto. Tack sharp and great exposure.
  18. Thanks Scotty I appreciate the kind words
    I really liek the colors in number 1
    Hi glad you stopped by the Sports forum. These are pretty much out of camera, I shoot jpg due to volume of shots. The cam setting are srgb sharpening low and contrast normal.
    In Ps I so a quick levels adjustment if needed maybe 50 percent of shots and then resize and sharpen uisng Fred Miranda plugins
    Nah there are many posts here that are as good if not better, it is amazing to watch the quality of the shots here get better week after week
    Thanks so much
    Yes I like the individual shots also