1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Bra strap lines

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Bunic, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Bunic

Bunic

Jun 27, 2006
    South Central PA
    This is basically a female query:

Every single time I shot a wedding, the majority of the brides and bride's maids, all in expensive gowns, have vivid bra strap lines - where they didn't get a tan to match the rest of their upper body.

Since this is a well-planned event, known about for months, if not a couple of years, why do these center's-of-attraction not take the time to get rid of those (to me) irritating white lines?

Please give this 'dumb guy' an education.

Mike

2. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    i've often wondered the same thing. bridesmaids are one thing, but too often the bride has tan lines... its a pain to fix...

3. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    They don't have that problem in Europe!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

4. MFowler

MFowler

Apr 18, 2008
    Texas
    LOL!:biggrin:

5. jadlh

jadlh

Mar 6, 2008
    USA, Michigan
    Some countries, it's no problem

If you were in Papau New Guinea then there wouldn't as much of a problem as you're having.......be thankful

IMG_0481-1.

6. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    Just so ya know...not everyone forgets this detail. When my son & daughter in law got married I planned on wearing a sleeveless gown. I stopped wearing anything with sleeves in May so I wouldn't have lines. Seattle can be pretty cool in May...it didn't matter. If I was outside I either wore full sleeves or no sleeves. And I don't mean like the pix above! The wedding wasn't until the end of July!

7. Cyanide

Cyanide Guest

I assume that what you refer to as "bra lines", are actually tan lines. (I myself would call 'bra lines' the indentation in the skin that last for minutes/an hour or so after taking off a bra). Not that it's a big difference; just for my own clarification. :smile:

Tan lines could be the result of many different reasons. Perhaps a sporting person who, even with strong sun protection, is just unable to completely avoid some tanning on the 365 days before the wedding (and is unable to go around in a "boob tube", or whatever you want to call them). Or perhaps not sporting per se, but someone who lives in a fairly warm area, where singlets etc are necessary parts of the wardrobe and where even with daily 30+ sunscreen, tan lines are inevitable.

Also possible - particularly depending on the wedding timing - that the issue didn't even become apparent until the last couple of dress fittings, after which there might not have been enough time to (naturally) reverse the tan lines, with either extra tanning, or extra suncare. Not sure how well those fake tans can mask such lines, either - don't they just add a shade over the complete body? The makeup artist, if there is one, should be doing something about them, though.

And don't get me wrong - personally, I hate tan lines, and if at all possible, never have them. :tongue:

As a generalisation, I would hazard a guess that most brides-to-be just live their life and don't really think about what the ramifications of them living their normal life(/style) might have on the (albeit precious) wedding photos. Brides are not (for the most part) professional models who are used to worrying about things like tan lines; they are just normal women with normal, ongoing lives, who choose not to make the wedding day the sole focus of their life (or perhaps is that last part just wishful thinking?).

Unless, of course, you are talking about people who obviously NEVER use sunscreen or - even worse - the "I-just-got-sunburned-really-badly-last-weekend" look. That's just silly on several levels, and they deserve no empathy whatsoever. :rolleyes: 

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2008
  8. Bunic

Bunic

Jun 27, 2006
    South Central PA
    Thanks for all your comments. I was really hoping to get some of the ladies to respond so I might better understand their thinking and maybe set me straight.

Mike

9. Maybe in your info packet you should make them aware of the challenges to retouch those lines and ask that they use concealer to hide them on their wedding day. Then list your hourly fees for major retouch work, which would be much more costly than that tube of concealer. I always ask senior girls to bring lotion and concealer to their sessions. Lotion for any exposed skin for a healthy looking glow, and concealer for tan lines and blemishes.

10. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    I am female but am not really able to offer any insight as I don't understand this myself! My (now ex) sister in law spent FOREVER planning her wedding down to the tiniest detail and then forgot/didn't think to wear sunscreen 3 days before the wedding while she did some gardening on a really hot day in a halter top.

She had a strapless gown but coming up from the top of the gown were two large white triangle pieces of skin. . When you added the flash that the pro photog used - the end result was awful.

She was distraught when she got the wedding album back (and I'm thinking - you MUST have looked in a mirror on your wedding day - how could you not notice them???).

The wedding photog said that he would retouch all the images in the album for about 800 pounds (why does my keboard not have the sign for British pounds sterling??) - they were on a really tight budget so that didn't work.

This was about 2 years ago and my PS skills were REALLY limited (they still are but I'm a little better than before) so I spent maybe 1-2 hours a night for maybe 2 weeks or so retouching all of the images that I had taken (plus some that her sister had taken) and put them in a photo book for her.

She was really pleased.

But then they split up 5 months later

Sorry - rambling story - in conclusion, I have no idea why people do this but it's common even amongst celebrities who have whole teams of stylists. Maybe it's a new style....

11. Bunic

Bunic

Jun 27, 2006
    South Central PA
    Thanks Leah, et al,

I guess this is yet another mystery of women. And if the females can't figure 'em out, heaven help us poor guys, esp. the ones totin' cameras at weddings.

Clueless:
    Mike

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.