Bracketing or whatever it's called. D5100

So my moms friend works at a store and got me the nikon d5100 for free. Started playing around with it and oh my, so much fun.

One thing that i've had interest for a while has been HDR photos.

I already know how to take them on the D5100 but can anyone offer some optimal settings and whatnot to make my pictures come out great or some pointers.

Lastly and most importantly i wanted to use Photoshop HDR Pro or Photomatix to make my own custom HDR photos but how do i go about doing the whole bracketing/exposure stuff.

**also would like to know how to shoot many photos at once. Like i hold the shoot button and it takes like 10 pictures.

Help me please.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
sweet thanks. if anyone has anything else that will help post it.

and also how do i shoot a lot of pictures at one time? example: someone is skateboarding and i want to catch a trick with the camera but i need a lot of photos. Help

A tripod is nearly a necessity. Holding the camera steady on a table can get good results as well, but hand-holding is not recommended. Both Photoshop and Photomatix will try to line up the shots, but there are limits. The less movement the better.

The bad news is that the D5100 will only do a three shot bracket. The good news is that it allows up to ±2.0EV. (-2.0,0,+2.0) In most cases, this will be ideal. Since it only takes a moment longer and the camera is still on the tripod, shoot another series at ±1.0EV as well. HDR is a bit unpredictable, and sometimes closer spaced exposures work a bit better. It is a whole lot easier to try the other set than to have to return and do a re-shoot.

Both Photomatix and Photoshop can produce good results, and for unknown reasons sometimes one will and the other won't on a given set of exposures. Well worth working with both as you learn. And there is a learning curve. Even after many years of experience, sometimes I just can't quite nail what I visualized. Other times, it is almost automatic. Skill does count however, and the more you do the more fluent you will get.

yes i have the user manual but i don't think i saw anything about HDR and @Larry Bolch yea i've experimented with cameras HDR function but i want to take my own pictures so i can customize it with photoshop and/or photomatix.
I don't know how to take the pictures i need though.

In the user manual it tells me " Continuous: While shutter-release button is held down, camera records up to 4 frames per second. "

I set mode to Auto and selected continuous. When i took a picture it only took one and i held down the button but repeatably pressing the button kinda worked.

Edit: i went into portrait mode and the continuous photos worked perfectly. still wondering about bracketing though so i can shoot HDR photos

read through the manual regarding how to setup and turn on the bracketing feature. Then set the expsosure settings as Larry explained above. This will produce the same shot 3 times (hopefully) with different exposures, usually 1st being under, 2nd normal and the 3rd over exposed. You then use PS to combine the three shots into a single image taking advantage of the high lights and low lights of the Over exposed and under exposed shots respectively.

As for action shots of a skate boarder set the camera to CH or burst mode to take shots quickly. Use shutter priorty and set to a fast shutter speed to freeze the action or a slower shutter speed to introduce motion blur.

What mode do i use to take HDR photos? (bracketing or w.e. it's called) and do you mean i should use mode "s" and put on continuous to take the pictures.

and sorry i just got my camera yesterday i am a complete newbie.

Wait can i do bracketing with flash because i was in "M" and it was not working with the flash so i closed it and it started working but my pictures were to dark.

and at GH41. my moms friend has worked at the place for a while and the manager gave it to me as a graduation "gift".

Wait can i do bracketing with flash because i was in "M" and it was not working with the flash so i closed it and it started working but my pictures were to dark.

and at GH41. my moms friend has worked at the place for a while and the manager gave it to me as a graduation "gift".

Your moms friends longtime employment gets you a graduation gift? GH

yes and thanks BruceF I've used photoshop for 5years+ so i know what exposure is but not really sure how it works on the camera. so thanks for the link i'll read up on it.

any more help with bracketing though? when i am taking the photos am i not allowed to use flash? and i use 2.0 for the bracketing but all the pictures came out dark.

oh i was looking at user's manual. ill look at the CD my kit came with which has the reference manual on it. and if anyone wants to offer some tips on bracketing etc. please post them.

yes i did. My pictures came out dark though.

I do have a few questions though.
1) Is flash not allowed when i am doing continuous bracketing shots because when i was in mode "M" I was not allowed to use the Flash. I had to lower it down (the flash) and then i was able to take continuous pictures.

2)What mode is best to take this pictures?

3)Any settings that i should consider paying attention to when i am taking these pictures? ex. Change ISO when in......, change exposure. etc.
thanks

Real Name
Michael
........ how do i shoot a lot of pictures at one time? example: someone is skateboarding and i want to catch a trick with the camera but i need a lot of photos. Help

You will want to set your release mode to Continuous. In that mode the camera will keep shooting frames as long as you hold down the shutter button. Your camera is capable of shooting four frames per second in that mode. Aim, focus, press shutter release and pan with your moving subject.

The manual at the bottom of page 35 explains how to put your camera into continuous release mode.

Latest threads

Top Bottom