Brainteaser: noise and ISO

There's a lot of room to naggle over semantics here and I'm not sure the Oxford dictionary would be my definitive guide when wondering about photographic terms.

But it's a good illustration that "high ISO = noise" is an abstraction that relies on many more factors and is not always, by definition, true.

There's a lot of room to naggle over semantics here and I'm not sure the Oxford dictionary would be my definitive guide when wondering about photographic terms.

But it's a good illustration that "high ISO = noise" is an abstraction that relies on many more factors and is not always, by definition, true.
"Exposure" means the "amount of light" to me, and does not include post-capture amplification. Digital is not film, the sensor sensitivity never changes.

"High ISO" is a proxy for increasing noise, but the causality is more complex. Low light causes noise, and low pre-read amplification (=ISO) causes noise too, in current cameras.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom