1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Brand New D80 - pixel problem

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Dale, May 17, 2007.

1. Hi everyone,

The SD card has now arrived for my brand new D80. It's alive. I took a couple of test shots out of the bedroom window, and all looked fine. I remember seeing on here some months agao something about dead pixels, so I thought I would take a look.

I tried taking a long exposure with the lense cap on (bulb setting for 30 seconds). The camera wouldn't focus, so I removerd the lens and replaced with the lense blanking plate no lens attached).

1st pic looked fine, but relaised it was a JPG, ISO 100. Turned up the ISO to 1600, turned off high ISO noise and took a Large Fine JPG +RAW shot.

There was an arc of bright (red and green) dots on the JPG, and the RAW, on maximum zoom in iPhoto looked like a koleidescope on a black background, with the JPG dots very prominent. :eek: 

Have I done something wrong, or is this a particulary bad sensor. :confused: 

I am really new to photography, :Shy: and need some reassurance that I haven't bought a dud! Can anyone help?

2. I have just remebered how to set the lens to manual focus. I've just taken another shot, with the lens on, and they look the same.

I would upload the shots, but they are not particularly pretty, and I cannot see how to do it anyway.

3. I did some more tests at 5 seconds exposure (with lens cap on), taking the ISO down from 1600 to 200 and looking at the results (NEF file).

800 - large dots still visible
    400 - some dots still remain
    200 - only a pair of blue dots remain, and the green pair of green dots.

Is this really a pixel problem, or noise?:confused: 

4. I suspect noise but if you provided samples could offer more help. I doubt you have a dud, and you do have a good warranty so I would concentrate on images within your normal workflow.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. Thanks Gale and Dave, I'll take a look at the upload shortly.

Apologies if I appear paranoid, but I'd rather find out if there is a problem whilst I have chance to do something about it.

Dale.

7. SoCalBob

SoCalBob

Feb 9, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    With that long an exposure ( 30 sec.) and high ISO, without seeing the pictures, what you're getting sounds more like "amp noise" than a pixel problem to me. The D80 is especially susceptible to this phenomenon, which Thom Hogan discusses at length in his review:

http://bythom.com/d80review.htm

We'd need a look at your pics to be certain, though.

8. Hi There,

Just set up a free flickr account. The ISO 1600 30 seconds shot was 3.2 MB, so I will have to look to increase the online storage to posta lower ISO. I had to convert it to JPG for now, in order to get it under 5MB.

Dale.
    [​IMG]

9. The main red dot is 1/2 way (left to right) and 3/4 of the way down the picture. The blue dot is 2/3 way along the bottom of the picture, about 10% from the bottom.

Many, mant thanks in advance for looking at these for me.

I'll try to post a lower ISO picture now.

10. Just realised the 5MB limit is per file, not total. Thought it seemed low:redface:

ISO 800:
    [​IMG]

ISO 400:
    [​IMG]

Again, the dots are in the same place. There is also a couple of green ones very close togetherright of centre at the tp of the image.

Is this normal, or should I be looking to replace it?

Ps. You are all fantastic for offering to look at this for me. This wouldn't happen on just any forum :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.