Brand new Sigma 150 Macro. Out of the box experience.

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by carauction, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Just thought I would relate this quick tale.

Bought a brand new Sigma 150 macro from an Authorized Sigma dealer. Don't want to mention the dealer's name, but it is not a big store like B&H, more like a large mom & pop store. I have not been to the store, but it sounds like one of those stores that has brand new boxed lenses sitting in a window display behind the counter.

Anyway, I received my lens yesterday, very fast one day service. The first thing that I noticed was a small round price tag sticker on the lens box showing the price of the lens. Never saw something like this before when I order from B&H or Norman Camera. I open the box, and I notice that the 'dealer copy' portion at the bottom of the warranty card has been neatly removed at the perforation lines. Once again, never seen this portion removed before, but I called Sigma and it is an option for the selling dealer to remove if they want to.

Now the fun part. I take the lens out of the box, and zip open the black zippered EX case......Drum rolll:eek: By looking at the way the lens is wrapped in the plastic wrapping, you know it is not straight from the factory. The lens has been removed and handled already. I mean, you know when a lens has been out of the box, no one can take the time to wrap that plastic wrapping exactly like the factory does. And, I notice that the lens cap has a very small water/oil dot on it. Probably a mark that I can rub out with a bit of elbow grease, and nothing I would normally care about if I myself actually stained it, but now I am feeling a bit unsure about this lens.

I further inspect the lens, and the barrel(EX finish) and glass at both ends do indeed look brand spanking new. I then mount the lens on my D3. In my bedroom at ISO 1600 I take about 30 quick test shots at F 2.8./ about 1/100 shutter handheld. A tad slow focusing in the low light...as to be expected for a Sigma macro. My first shots were very soft looking. I was really getting worried(oh no the world is ending!) Then I said to myself to slow down, give the lens something contrasty and in good light to shoot at at F2.8 in ISO incandescent lighting. Well, I would never expect it, but this Sigma appears to be focusing on the money at F2.8. A very welcomed sight in my LCD screen...that very small DOF showing it's sharpest point in the middle....one shot after the next. So I presently feel that it should not need much, if any AF Fine tune.

Any opinions on what to do with the lens. I have a 7 day return window, and have not had a chance to thoroughly shoot with the lens yet.

Thanks for reading,

Mike

2. Hi Mike,

Not sure what to tell you. These are getting pretty hard to find, so you likely will wait a while if you send it back. Try and do some controlled tripod mounted tests. Sounds to me like all is fine...

3. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Agree... :smile:

4. If it is a mom and pop store with lenses in boxes behind the counter, would it surprise you if the lens had been opened by someone in the store and tried out? I know that I would want to try out a lens before even considering a purchase in the store, and most mom and pop stores can't afford demo lenses. Hell, neither can Adorama. If you try out a lens there and don't buy it it goes back to the stock room and waits for someone else. That doesn't make it a used lens. If it's functioning properly and you like it, put your worries aside, slap it on the camera and post some photos here for us to ogle over.

5. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    I wouldn't worry about it. I'd be more :mad: and :confused: about a mom&pop store that DIDN'T allow people to test out lenses than one that did.

After all, isn't that WHY people still shop at brick and moter stores and not online?

6. To Rich, Don,Rich G and Pete..........

Wonderful advice by all. Just what I wanted to hear.

Appreciated,

Mike

7. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    I'd maybe just give them a call and discuss it with them as well. Just for peace of mind.

8. if it's working fine... why worry... just enjoy the lens...

9. odd story
    let us know how the lens works out

i wonder what they'd say if you gave them a call... i'd be interested to hear THEIR response

10. You wanted it, keep it! It has good focus, looks/works like new. Great find.

11. Butchdog

Butchdog

May 29, 2007
    MN
    After reading so many great things about this lens I put my name on the waiting list of several retailers. Indeed they are difficult to find. In the mean time a used one came up for sale and I was able to snag that one. It should arrive today and I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl.

12. lf911sc

lf911sc

Jun 15, 2008
    Monmouth, NJ
    I'd rather have a lens that was touched before coming my way and worked perfectly that have a lens untouched and has issues.

I would keep the lens given it works the way you hoped it would.

13. Hi Mike,

Personally I wouldn't sweat it. As has already been stated, it's very common for mom and pop stores to show/demo lenses, and then sell them even though they've been handled briefly. As long as it doesn't have any issues, no harm-no foul, IMO. I've bought lenses in similar circumstances myself. You still have a vallid warranty should there be any problems, but from what you've said it sounds like it's good to go.

Of course, that's just my take on it, and you need to be comfortable with your purchase. As some others have suggested, maybe a phone call to the dealer would put you at ease.

14. kjmarte

kjmarte Guest

Hi Mike,

I don't think it was mentioned yet in this thread, but don't worry about the results of your initial 30 shots. Handheld at 1/100 is just about guaranteed to produce blurred images. Enjoy.

Ken

15. Thanks again all.....

I did call up the dealer, Allen Camera in PA. I spoke to Allen...I guess it is indeed the 'Allen'. I told him of my concerns about the lens. He said that first and foremost, he would never sell a 'returned' lens. However, he also said that he could NOT guarantee that the lens itself was not removed from the box and handled. He did offer to exchange the lens, but I said No Thank you.

That is that. I am keeping the lens, as I will put it through some further testing within the return time of 7 days as the sales girl told me. Too bad it is not a longer return time like B&H, but the last I looked B&H was out of stock.

Thanks again for all of your support.

BTW, I am not crazy about doing business with Mom & pop stores. I did have a problem once before with a similar type of store. Rather do business with B& H or even Norman, even though Norman is probably a MOM & POP, they are fantastic.

Mike

16. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Allen's Camera

is not a mom and pop store. He does a large business and is absolutely trustworthy. I have bought many items from him and he is the most helpful dealer I know. Trust him.

17. I've had a bit of trouble with some mom and pop stores in the past but it sounds like he was a standup dealer and offered and exchange. I wouldn't be too worried.

I actually had a guy in Stanford CT get sassy with me for asking him to go to the back and grab a different D80 package than the one he gave me. After spending 1200 + in his store you'd think he'd be happy to do anything.

Anyway, good luck with the lens.

18. Mike, if this came from Allen's, I would trust them implicitly. Enjoy the lens. I bought mine from them in person at their store in PA.

19. Dr A

Dr A

Feb 2, 2008
    State College, PA
    This kind of thing drives me up a wall. I went into a store, might have been Cord Camera or equivalent, back when the 18-200 was a hot item. I asked if they had one, the guy left came back with a box and told me that it was one that someone had already ordered AND paid for, but hadn't picked up yet. He was going to let me try it out right there!

How would you feel about that? I declined, told him I wouldn't want some schmuck putting his filthy mitts all over my lens, and told him to put it back in the back until the guy picked it up. It just felt wrong to me!