Brand new to PP & trying out PS CS3 need HELP

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Lil Judd, May 27, 2007.

1. Folks,

I need help desperately. I have two photos of a friend I need to PP fast in one very silly way (OK I think it's silly but she doesn't). Since I'm brand new in PS & don't have time to learn the entire program to do this adjustment I was/am hoping for fast help with this.

I need to remove her dark roots, that's the hair roots, on the top of her hair. That's what she gets for dyeing her hair. But since the shots show the top of her head & she's desperate for the shots.....

How do I do this? I just downloaded PS CS3 off the web & am on my first day of my 30 day trial. I've picked up the color & I'm trying to replace & it looks horrible, I'm dealing with hair strands....

Does anyone have an easy way to do this I can try?

Thanks,

Lil:confused:

2. It would surely help to show the picture......

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Please post the image and link to original (large jpg)

4. Peano

Peano

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, D.C.
    Click Layer > New > Layer. In the New Layer dialog box, change "mode" to Overlay.

Use a soft brush at about 20% opacity (the opacity window is in the toolbar at top). Sample color from the blonde hair and paint upward into the dark roots to cover them. On this size image, a brush diameter of 40 px is about right.

There are different shades of blonde, so sample frequently. With the brush tool active, hold the alt key and the brush will turn to an eyedropper. When you click on a color with the eyedropper, it will automatically set that color as the foreground color.

After covering the dark roots, if some areas look too light, open another new layer and change mode to "multiply." Reduce brush opacity to about 3%, and sample and paint as before. "Multiply" mode will darken, so you'll want to go easy on that, if you need it at all.
    layers-1.

roots2.

5. Peano,

again you come to my aid - just different forum. Thanks, I'll try that.

Lil

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice of you Peano:>))
    Looks good

7. Just wanted to post an update in case anyone wanted to know. I followed Peano's recommendations & we've got both pictures fixed. I have tonight created her ad or whatever we should call it & she's thrilled. I really like PS CS3 I feel I communicate well with it.

Thanks for the help.

Lil

8. MurphyD

MurphyD

Jan 17, 2007
    South Texas
    Peano
    I tried it on a pic of mine. Great technique. Thanks. It will take some practice but a wonderful tool to acquire.
    David