Brandon & the NC Heart Gallery

Discussion in 'People' started by Broyer, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Broyer

Broyer

Apr 26, 2006
    North Carolina
    Yesterday was perhaps one of the best day's I ever had behind the lens of a camera. Several months ago I came across a website called NC Heart Gallery. They team up photographers with kids awaiting adoption. The goal is to produce a portrait for the young person's file that perhaps will catch the eye of a prospective new parent. They also display the work around the state.

I knew as I progressed my photography business that some type of charitable work would become a regular part of it. I also knew I wanted to be involved with helping children somehow. When I came across the NC Heart Gallery site, I submitted my name as a photographer who is willing to help but I never heard anything back from them until last month.

It all came together yesterday when I met Brandon at a small city park in Durham, NC. I was a little nervous and didn't know what to expect. Filicia with the Durham County Dept of Social Services was there as well and it was a good thing since my light stand broke. She ended up being my assistant!

582750378_cc51c84218.

Brandon is a very handsome and quiet boy. It took me a little bit to draw him out. His voice was very soft. His demeanor was calm and shy but I think he thoroughly enjoyed having his picture taken. I was able to get the occasional smile when I showed him the previews from the back of the camera. He's a big fan of football and basketball. In retrospect, I wish I had brought a little more gear and perhaps an assistant to make more of a "production" out of the shoot. A couple of props to help illustrate him would have been nice too. The attention from having your photo taken is certainly a confidence boost for kids.

I did come away with several good portraits. I'm going to have some printed and forwarded on to Brandon so he can pass them out to his friends and foster parents. It was a very rewarding day and I look forward to photographing more kids for the NC Heart Gallery. Yesterday, I found out how good a fit the NC Heart Gallery is for me.

I enjoyed every minute of my session with Brandon and I can't wait to see his smile in the NC Heart Gallery.

2. That is a very touching story Tim. The feeling one gets when they really enjoy helping others is special isnt it. You will be blessed for giving of your time and talents.

Oh BTW, nice capture of a handsome young man.

3. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Wonderful portrait and even more wonderful story. I'm so impressed that you would use your talents for such a good cause. Kuddos to you!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

4. That's an awesome gesture Tim! I wish there was something like that in this area. Do they have affiliate programs in other states??? I would love to participate in something like this.

EDIT - I just found a local Heart Gallery and submitted a volunteer application. Thanks for the information!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2007
  5. Broyer

Broyer

Apr 26, 2006
    North Carolina
    Awesome. Precisely why I decided to post it up. Brandon might not benefit from this photoshoot but if in some round-about way another child does than we have both made out.

thanks all

6. Hey Tim, that sounds like a great thing to do. Your picture of Brandon is good.

7. nshape

nshape

Jul 25, 2006
    NB Canada
    what an awesome concept! he seems like a great boy!

8. Man, stuff like this just breaks my heart. Who would throw away a child so precious?

9. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I got this big ole lump in my throat when I read this story. I totally agree with Czechman.

10. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

whata blessing Tim and whata heart breaking reality this is,,did he mention how he came to be seperated from his parents?...nice photo, keep up the good work pal.

God bless u real big
    ;-)