1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Brasil Street Festival and Central Park (Broadband)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by RFCGRAPHICS, Sep 1, 2008.

1. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Labor Day in the US marks the unofficial end of summer. Here are a few snaps from Central Park and The 24th Annual Brazilian Day Festival in NYC. All panoramas handheld and stitched with PTgui

FDNY Water Cannons - nikkor 70-200, 7 image (click for larger image)
    [​IMG]

Miss Brasil A - nikkor 35-70
    [​IMG]

Brasil Street Festival 1 - nikkor 12-24, 6 image (click for larger image)
    [​IMG]

Brasil Street Festival 2 - nikkor 12-24, 2 image (click for larger image)
    [​IMG]

Brasil Street Festival 3 - nikkor 12-24, 4 image (click for larger image)
    [​IMG]

Miss Brasil B - nikkor 12-24 (click for larger image)
    [​IMG]

Brasil Street Festival 4 - nikkor 12-24 (click for larger image)
    [​IMG]

Thoth at Bethesda Terrace - nikkor 35-70
    [​IMG]

The Lake in Central Park - nikkor 35-70, 11 image (click for larger image)
    [​IMG]

The Boat Pond - nikkor 35-70, 2 row 29 image (click for larger image)
    [​IMG]

Summer at Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir - nikkor 35-70, 19 image (click for larger image)
    [​IMG]

And a final one from Times Square - nikkor 70-200, 5 image (click for larger image)
    original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. RFC...
    can i ask you the world's dumbest question?

when you take these panos...
    of people, who are obviously moving
    how do you get the 6 or so shots done quickly enough so that when you stitch them.... we can't notice that issue?

please forgive my dumb question
    just wondering

3. oh.....
    and... they are incredible, of course

4. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Great series. I really wish I was there.

5. Great series, love your advert in Times Square :biggrin:

Miss Brazil is a beautiful lady.

6. truflip

truflip

Jul 28, 2008
    Ottawa, ON
    I have the same question as Greg about the people panos and of course, great shots! My only quirk is they seem too sharp edged but great nonetheless.

7. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    Saudades de mais! Fantastic photos.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2008
  8. I've been thinking about that for a looooong time, each time i look at one of Robert's panorama, but never asked him :tongue:... I reckon it might be a "private" trick, as THIS makes these panos sooooo different :confused:  !

Well..... maybe he'll give away his secrets ????

:smile:
    J-P.

9. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    great series Robert

love the Bethesda shot and Times Square especially

I am preferring BW for people lately, nice job on those as well

10. thank goodness i wasn't the only one thinking of this
    i thought it was something obvious

thank you for your replies

11. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Thanks ArtO for the kind comments. Summer in NYC is a lot of fun. The streets are so full of energy :) 

12. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Aqualung,

Thanks for the comments. Yes the Times Square panorama is a perfect example of a Narcissistic Personality Disorder. LOL

Miss Brazil is a hottie :) 

13. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Thanks TCMony for the kind words. I am a huge fan of your work. Your fashion images are always unique and classy :) 

14. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Thanks Mood as always. I too am enjoying BW photography. It is an art form where composition and not color, makes the statement.

- Times square....yeah my huge ego :) 

- Bethesda shot ... just me playing around with Nik Silver Efex and Onone photoframes. Thoth is definitely an interesting performance artist

15. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Truflip, Greg, JPS

PTgui really deserves all the credit. No big secret as to panoramas and moving objects. A while ago, I made a simple tutorial on this very subject. You can find it at http://rfcgraphics.com/Ptgui/tutorialptgui.html

Synopsis...I output my panoramas in PSD (photoshop native format) format complete with layers and masks for each frame of a stitch. This allows for easy correction of artifacts caused by moving objects like people, cars, etc. Bottom line...when necessary, all one has to do is a simple mask correction.

-The Brazil festival panoramas were 'blind panoramas' as I didnt use the viewfinder. I basically winged it by holding the camera above my head and shooting a sequence of shots. This is the first time I have tried this and I think its a fun technique for crowded locations. Once again, kudos to PTgui.

-Sharpening is still a challenge for me when post processing. What looks fine after a number of hours in front of a computer screen, can look very different the next day :) 

Thanks guys for kind comments :) 

16. Fabulous Panos!!! When was the Brazil festival??? I would've loved to be there for that. Hopefully you were able to sell some of them to the group organizing it.

17. Fascinating technique and tutorial!

Beautiful images, as well. The one of the Boat Pond brought back many memories of my childhood, when my father brought my brother and me there, by subway from Queens, on many weekends. So nice to see so many others still enjoying sailing their model boats there.

Also - I agree that Miss Brazil is a hottie! :biggrin:

18. i greatly appreciate your reply
    i think i do understand a bit more now

it's just incredible the PTgui can stitch a blind/overhead pano
    amazing, quite frankly

very well done

19. truflip

truflip

Jul 28, 2008
    Ottawa, ON
    Thanks too RFC. I heard of "Autostitch" doing the same kind of thing you have done with PTgui but it looks like PT is better since its not just "Auto"

20. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Thanks NewBert and Leung for the kind words. The Brazil festival was on Sunday the 31st. One of the nice things about the boat pond is the water makes the surrounding area cooler on hot summer days.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.