Breakfast with the Kingfish

Discussion in 'Birds' started by hangin tree, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2007
  2. Nice catch - both the photographer and the Kingfisher!

3. Thanks Phil

This is a very elusive bird here in the US. They offer a chalange to any photog out there.

4. Nice job. I'm envious of all who get good shots on this bird. Truly a nemesis bird for me!

5. Thanks Tom

I found this bird a real chalange and I'm just starting to get the feel for Behavior, for example the fish caught was litterally beat to death on the limb then eaten. I have found a fishing spot for these birds and several pair are using it.

6. Niecy

Niecy Guest

Great shots! And I agree these guys are elusive, I have been scouting around for some shots of these guys for quite some time now. I have found they like small ponds. Some friends have spotted several at their ponds on their farms. I have not had the chance to go and check them out yet. But after seeing your shots I think I will give it a try. Excellent captures.

7. Thanks Juanice

I am shooting near Guntersville Dam and there are several pair around that I have found but I just started with Belted Kingfishers after Eagles and Kestrels.

8. Wonderful stuff Gary!! I tell you, if you work with NX, maybe try decreasing the exposure setting to around -.5 or so and then use the color points. Mostly on the last one, really terrific. That is what I have done in the past with great results. Just a thought:smile:.

Cheers
    Nancy

9. Thanks Nancy but I shoot canon and not much I can do for these except go reshoot them.

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ohhhh you stinker you...lolol
    the darn devil bird.
    I use to like you Gary

Well yeah ,I still do like ya, but gee. The devil bird..lol

Nice....You are on a mission
    You go
    Looking foward to more
    Nice shots

11. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Yep, they will beat the fish in order to crush the bones for easier swallowing. I sincerely hope you get the images you are after with this little #$%^#$^ bird. :tongue: Are you already doing a little selective pruning of some branches?

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice examples of what most of us see as a nemesis bird Gary. :smile:

13. I have improved position tonight and should be Getting some shoys tomorrow if the darn bird cooperates.

14. I improved my position tonight and should get some better stuff soon, I had a Racoon so close I could not get the 500 to focus (Too Close). I'm going to get some good ones but I pulled a dumb stunt and forgot to reduce my exposure when the fog lifted blew some whites.

15. It is a nemesis for sure and definitely not for the Impatient. This is not a starter bird for sure!!!:eek:

16. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Way to go Gale! That's a darn nice image. I suspect Gary will be posting some killer shots very soon too. :wink:

17. Nice series of the devilbird feeding!! Usually their catch are so small one can hardly see what they are eating!!!

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thanks Andy