Breaking the destructive LLD cycle

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Jul 21, 2005.

1. First, let me apologize for generalizing when I coined the term "Lens Lust Disease". After further study, there appears to be two distinctly different diseases related to lenses.

Lens Acquisition Disorder
    The poor souls suffering from LAD are doomed. There is no cure for their compulsion to collect glass. The only possible way to mitigate the destructive effects of their disease (marital problems, bankruptcy) is to divert their direction to older, MF lenses.

Lens Lust Disease
    LLD seems to have its roots in a quest for the ultimate image quality. The victims often sell lenses to fund their next purchase (which clearly dinstinguishes them from the LAD crowd, who wouldn't dream of selling a lens). This swapping practice reminds me of drivers flipping from lane to lane on a highway during rush hour, looking for an advantage. But there isn't a meaningful one to be had. The significant gain is in learning the characteristics of a lens, and getting the most out of it, as Chris101 has demonstrated with his gallery of images from the oft maligned 24-120VR.

http://radio.weblogs.com/0101365/stories/2004/09/07/photosTakenWithThe24120vrN.html

LLD isn't any more curable than LAD, but it can be put into remission by any new technique or equipment that gets the patient better pics. Since illumination is key to image quality, lighting gear becomes the equivalent of methadone as a treatment for heroin addicts.

For example, last weekend I was obsessing about adding the 105/2 DC to my camera bag, but my light tent kit arrived from BH Photo on Tuesday, and my LLD symptoms have completely vanished! The kit consists of a rip nylon light tent, two background sweeps (one black and one white), a pair of adjustable 6 foot light stands, two reflectors, and a couple of 250W photo bulbs... all for less than the cost of a Sigma 70-300 zoom! Here's what it looks like.

[​IMG]

I bought it for product photography, and it's made my current pay job a cinch.

It works equally well for floral macros and closeups.

View attachment 12381

And the light stands can be used to mount my pair of slave flashes for hummingbird pics.

View attachment 12382

It'll take me weeks to explore this new gear and get back to lusting for that 105/2 DC. Maybe I can pay down my credit card in the interim... or maybe I'll just buy some softboxes for my strobes ;).

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

That's a nifty product. I'm going to see if I can get one of my clients to buy one for me (us)...... My fee was enough for my wife and I for an "all expense paid" trip to Puerta Vallarta for a week (so maybe I should buy the rig.....)

27595815_7f88fa977c.

This is one shot I took of one product for the web site I built for that company (nearly all the shots on the web site were taken by me) and that rig would be perfect! I used a sheet of black felt and some jury-rigged lighting.....

This is the web site: http://www.selmorproducts.com/index.html (I am the "webmaster", click on my name for my picture)

[​IMG]

3. Heck, it's only $135, Ken... about the price of a good 77mm circular polarizer.

The light tent would make shots like that a snap.

Is that the Rock at Morro Bay in the background?

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Yes, that is the Rock at Morro Bay....

And, yes that price is terrific for that rig, certainly well worth the price. My product shots would have been much better if I had used it - that was also before my D70 and was in fact the main thing that made me switch.

But I also fear that if I get that rig, it will then give me more ideas that will lead to the need for more equipment, lenses and who-knows-what. :lol:

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

7. Hey Uncle Frank,

How did you get the Hummingbird to stay in the tent??? :D

8. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Sometimes I think that what drives us (or at least me) to want new stuff isn't that we need the new lens to take better pictures, its just that we want to see what the new lens can do. Or see what we can do with it. Sometimes we get bored (for lack of a better term) with what we have and want something new to play with. I guess this is closer to LAD.

9. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Uncle Frank,

I have a similar kit that I used for catalog work and it works well on smaller items. With those stands and a few accessories you can add softboxes or umbrella's with your flashes for portable studio lighting.

Funny you mentioned the 105 DC, as I returned my recently aquired "beast" and came home with it. Would it be evil of me to describe the images it can produce? :twisted:

10. I completed my first job with it today... 10 product shots for an electronics company. Then I used it on some of my own toys :).

Here's a shot of The Beast, taken with the 60mm micro

and here's a shot of the 60mm micro, taken with The Beast.

View attachment 12385

My favorite is a shot of the 20mm f/2.8.

View attachment 12386

It certainly would, but don't let that stop you. I'll use it as a test of my newfound resolve. I've heard that it's sharp at f/2. Got any examples?.

11. Bjorn has a severe case LHPD......Lens Hoarding Professional Disorder!
    I think of course without it the photography community would be a lot less fun :)
    Let's hear it for the lens-master!

12. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I often don't know where a particular lens is hiding and have been known to buy a new sample instead (i.e. 45 P). This is a consequence of having many lenses and using them a lot.

Currently, I'm using a 28/1.4 loaned to me for a particular assignment. If I wish I can keep that lens for a very favourable price (many many % discount). I'm planning to set up a test series of this lens against my 35/1.4 to learn whether or not there are significant differences between them in optical terms (handling is much better on the 35 lens I knew that beforehand). If the 28/1.4 has an advantage for me, I'll consider buying it, otherwise it will be returned.

If this is LHPD I think I have the disease well under control :)

13. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

14. nfoto

nfoto Guest

The REAL benefit of owning many lenses may not be entirely intuitive: you have to consider in advance what and how you are going to shoot, so as to bring with you only the lens(es) you really need. I rarely use more than one or two lenses with any assignment. For a long field trip, the situation is different because I have to cover a lot of ground and different shooting as well. For a working professional the most important is to ensure I get the picture (pun intended), since you won't stay long in the business if you don't.

I'm sure the jesters here on this forum can whip up an acronym for that too.

15. Uncle Frank, B&H should PAY you!
    You are clearly trying to brainwash me into buying a beast of my own.
    I think I may not be able to hold back.......

16. Frank

That looks a great product - I looked at smaller ones on ebay but they didn't come with the empty bottle of coke that yours did !

Seriously - it looks like it really smooths out the light and gives great results looking at the lens pictures.

Thats 2 good purchases recently, if you include the Flash Bracket. What's #3 going to be ?