Brexit Day

Real Name
Ross
As many of you know I am studying abroad in Cambridge. Last weekend I went down to London (among other places, see my weekend thread here: https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/study-abroad-4-london-bath-and-oxford.320637/) with some friends, one of the major reasons being to be there for Brexit. As a Politics & International Affairs and Economics double major, I loved being there to be able to see the signs and hear the rhetoric of both sides and to document and experience the moment. I hope this thread won't get political as I know it is an incredibly divisive issue, especially over here, but as a foreigner and student, it was extremely interesting to look at everything from a somewhat withdrawn position and experience the moment. Here are a few shots from a morning pro-Brexit demonstration in parliament square. This was a lot of fun for me as there was more opportunity to mingle with the attendees, read their signs, and listen in on conversations and debate which I loved.
DSC_1229-X3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1. Demonstrators congregated around this statue of Churchill for this morning demonstration as well as the party that night.
DSC_1240-X3.jpg

2. It was interesting to see a lot of American flags, and there was a lot of talk of Brexit day as a sort of Independence day, a view that I had heard but wasn't as prominent in the news I read as it seemed to be in person. Lots of people both in the morning and night wished each other "happy independence day"
DSC_1244-X3.jpg

3. Men offering "free shoe wipes" to people passing by.
DSC_1250-X3.jpg

4. More of the signs and flags, with Westminster in the background.

After this demonstration, we spent the day site seeing then returned at around 10:00 for the official Brexit party to mark the occasion at 11:00 PM UK time, 12:00 Brussels time. The atmosphere felt a lot like what I assume New Year's Eve in New York is like, and I'm glad I got to go and experience it. There were lots of Brexiteers in attendance, but there also seemed to be lots of people who were just there to observe and see the moment. There were also some people who actively opposed Brexit but were there to either protest(some did a silent protest but there was no real protest presence) or make a little money. We bought small flags as souvenirs from a man who recognized we were Americans and I guess felt fine telling us he voted to stay, but was happy to go make a little money.
DSC_1332-Pano-X3.jpg

5. A panorama of the crowd around us, a pretty representative view of who we saw there.
DSC_1405-X3.jpg

6. Partygoers climbing the Churchill statue pictured above.
DSC_1370-X3.jpg

7. Someone popped red, white, and blue smoke grenades, adding to the atmosphere.
DSC_1470-X3.jpg

8. Others climbing the Churchhill statue just after the countdown finished.
DSC_1489-X3.jpg

9. A young boy on what I assume are his father's shoulders taking in the moment.
DSC_1505-X3.jpg

10. A parting view at the remaining crowd as we left the square around 11:20.

This was an incredible moment to observe and I am so thankful I got to go. It was extremely interesting as someone studying politics and economics to take in the sights and hear people's opinions about Brexit, both at the demonstrations and in passing at pubs etc. But, it was also one of the first times I felt that I truly experienced history being made in person which was really cool. Thank you for looking! If you have any suggestions or comments I would love to hear them, this is my first shot at this type of photography and I would love to learn more from y'all.

WOW! You sure picked the right time to be doing your study abroad program! These are very interesting photos and you've done a really nice job with them, capturing what is indeed a quite historic moment in the history of Great Britain. Once again I feel as though I were there in the crowd, too, and that is an excellent skill for you to have as a photographer. Thank you for being there and taking these images and bringing them to us..... For those of us on the other side of the Big Pond, this is especially valuable to get a better sense of what is happening for the British people.

Real Name
Ross
Very well documented, and along with your narrative it gives us good feel for the atmosphere there. Bravo!
WOW! You sure picked the right time to be doing your study abroad program! These are very interesting photos and you've done a really nice job with them, capturing what is indeed a quite historic moment in the history of Great Britain. Once again I feel as though I were there in the crowd, too, and that is an excellent skill for you to have as a photographer. Thank you for being there and taking these images and bringing them to us..... For those of us on the other side of the Big Pond, this is especially valuable to get a better sense of what is happening for the British people.
Thank you both! It certainly is a great time to be over here, haha I'm missing the U.S. primaries but there will be some more of those in a few years. It was incredible to observe and document, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to be there and then share them with y'all.

that looks like a big crowd. i saw very minimal coverage of it here, no doubt the result of having our own circus to watch. you got some great photos.

Very well done, Ross. The pictures capture the moment and the narrative helps us understand it.

I especially liked the sleepy-eyed little boy who seemed to be looking at you.

Real Name
Ross
Wonderful images and insights.
Thank you!
Good stuff (y)
Hope the manufacturers stay.
Thank you! Yea, definitely hope for the best results as they figure out the transition.
that looks like a big crowd. i saw very minimal coverage of it here, no doubt the result of having our own circus to watch. you got some great photos.
Yea it was a lot of people, maybe the biggest non-sports crowd I've ever been a part of, it was a really cool atmosphere when all the flags were waving. Haha yea, that's the one downside of being over here as a Poli Sci major is I miss being in the U.S. for our events, which it's certainly been a big week for. I'm just glad I didn't try to stay up for the Iowa caucus results.
Very well done, Ross. The pictures capture the moment and the narrative helps us understand it.

I especially liked the sleepy-eyed little boy who seemed to be looking at you.
Thanks, Pa! That was one of my favorites too, he caught my eye above the crowd.
In addition to everything already mentioned, I just have to point out that the second photo is a magical combination of framing by the flag, extensive depth of field, and narrative that explains the relevance of an American flag in that situation.
Thank you! When I was taking it I thought it looked like it almost could have been a Fourth of July party.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom