Bridge of the Grand Princess at Sunset

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Mike Z, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    This shot was taken with my wife's Canon A95 since I don't bring my DSLR on cruises.

Mike

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is pretty and i am very jealous.

3. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

Lovely colors and composition Mike!

4. This is a wow shot. Nicely done.

5. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Gale, Pete and Gordon,
    Thanks very much for your kind comments on the Bridge Shot. If you've been on a cruise, you know how difficult it is to find interesting images after you've done the sunrises and sunsets.

Happy New Year to you all.

Mike

6. Now that's an interesting perspective on a sunset shot. Well done! But these guys look like they could be side-swiped by a passing boat. Are they really away from the ship like it looks?

7. Yep, it's the bridge- the ship's command and control center.
    Restricted area.
    The wings are there to give a view down the side of the ship and are especially good for docking and maneuvering. Many also have a window in the floor to see down. Generally, they're very useful, and I speak from experience.
    There is a duplicate control panel (throttles, maneuvering joysticks, thruster and rudder controls plus radar etc. ) on each wing, a condensed version of what is towards the center.
    The bridge is typically around 10 decks up, so unless another cruise ship passes close enough to be REALLY dangerous, they aren't going anywhere.
    Last cruise I was on I wish I'd had a DSLR- a D70 with 18-70 would have helped a lot versus the CP5700. I would have had some interesting shots from the Bridge :)

8. Thanks, Harrison, for the info. More complicated than I would have realized. So there's 3 sets of complete controls on the ship!

Too bad you didn't have the D70. Those guys must have a terrific view.

9. well 3 complete sets of maneuvering controls on the bridge, plus the autopilot, plus a duplicate set of controls in the Engine Control Room (that place is even harder to get access to. The engines are massive and louder than you can imagine, really!
    On the main set, the controls are spread out more (and there are literally dozens, even hundreds more controls not essential for maneuvering) and there are more work areas though. The wing ones are sort of compressed to save space.

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Pretty cool snap, Mike. Looks like a great place to have an office...what a view! I've never been on a cruise, but images like yours can force a person to save up for boarding passes someday.

11. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Harrison was exactly correct in the way he described the controls. All of the large cruise ships now have bridges with these side wings.

Thanks to all for the nice comments on the image.

Mike

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Mike,
    I just looked through your sunset and caribbean galleries. Nice nice nice. Brings back tons of memories.

what Islands are pictured, and what islands did you visit.

I have been to 14 of the islands. :>))

13. Thanks Mike...I always wondered what the bridge looked like.

14. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Gale,
    The Caribbean Cruise Album was last year's cruise. We visited Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten. I keep that album up because it's had over 1000 hits and I get a few every day. The Sunrises and Sunsets were from several weeks ago. We did a Yucatan Peninsula cruise which stopped in Costa Maya, Belize City, Georgetown, Grand Caymen and Cozamel. I don't find the ports particularly photographically interesting because they are jammed with tourists, and I took shots on the ship last year, so I decided this year to shoot the sunsets and sunrises which were pretty spectacular. I use my wife's Canon A95 for the shots.

Melissa, That is only a wing of the bridge. There is also a wing on the other side. The major part of the bridge, where the captain spends most of his time is in the center. It's interesting that there are duplicate controls in each wing and in the center.

Mike

15. I've got about 3.5gb of pics from my last 4-5 cruises on my computer....I might be able to put together a private smugmug gallery of some interesting shots for you all to look at :)

16. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Harrison,
    I'm interested in seeing your approach. I generally find the cruises somewhat photographically limited.

Mike

17. well the pics i'm talking about are of areas you don't normally get to see.
    I'm going out on a bit of a limb here actually. Technically these pictures don't exist.
    These pics are in a smugmug gallery located here:
    http://NikonMadness.smugmug.com/share/q4l21Er8JmUmI

The gallery is password protected.
    PM ME FOR THE PASSWORD
    The Password MAY NOT be disseminated or shared with ANYONE even other Cafe members. I will control it. Any abuse of this and I will change the password immediately and close the gallery sharegroup.
    BE kind, these were taken with Point n Shoots (CP885 and CP5700, would have killed for an 8800VR). The 885 generally had better output IMO.
    A D200 on these would have been amazing :frown: