Bright center sport when stopped down?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RecalcitrantRon, May 20, 2007.

1. I shot this as a dust check. D70, w/ 50mm 1.8 stopped all the way down to f/22. Picture is of a blue sky that I then manipulated and pumped up the contrast to make the dust spots more visible. That process also amplified the bright spot in the center which I could already see as shot. Any idea what it is? Is it because I stopped the lens all the way down?

Thanks in advance.

I can't seem to get the image to post at all. One of those days!

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2007
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
  3. Why that is the sun of course ;~))
    J/K, not sure what that is

4. I did the same test with my 18-200 and it does not show up at all so it's not the camera. Could it be the shape of the aperture blades on the cheap lens stopped all the way down?

5. Ron, you do need to add .jpg at the end of your URL, then of course add the [​IMG] at each end of your URL:

Oh, yours showed up as I was fiddling with this! LOL!

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    That's because I swooped in to make a slight adjustment on Ron's behalf.

7. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Everybody's gettin' in the act, huh?!!! :biggrin::biggrin:

8. That's weird. Possibly a hotspot?

9. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    The spot is likely a reflection off the camera's sensor that is partially re-reflected by some lens elements. I believe that this is a known problem with the 50 mm f/1.8 and some other older lenses that apparently have either less effective coatings or uncoated internal or rear elements. These reflections usually only occur when bright light sources are in or near the frame.

10. That makes sense I suppose. It is only a $100 lens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.