Brilliant series on DPR

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bendheim, Apr 9, 2005.

1. One of the finest documentary sets of images I've seen for a long time has been posted via DPR, on the post Tsunami period.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=13010759

While it has elicited good comment, there was a particularly nasty set of remarks from one Raul, which I think has angered me more than anything I've read on DPR as it is not only completely ignorant and ill-informed but flies completely in the face of democratic thought and opinion. PLEASE, Patrick and Flew, DON'T EVER let this character into the Cafe !!!!!

This is excellent material; makes me realise just how far I yet have to travel down the photographic visioning road, if there is still some miles left for me to go.

Check it out !

Best

Peter

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I thought that Norm's post was most excellent. Very moving and reminds us that tragedy is something that everyone has to live with. Whether you are in the zone, or 6000 miles away it affects lots of people.

As for the person with the rude comments. I feel that the cafe is a place of gathering where people will express their feelings in a decent manner and not attack each other. Those that do attack are not welcome and probably wouldn't even consider the cafe. I prefer to not talk about folks that do not have the courage or decency to constructively make their point. I suggest we move on and spread the word about Norman's truly moving and spectacular journalistic vision.

Perhaps you should invite him over Peter, he would be definitely welcome.

3. Tat's exactly my type o potorapy.And yes, tere will always be some stupiad people to comment.

I'm sorry, I spilled some soda on my keyboard...

4. Thanks for the tip, Peter . . .

A powerful series, and timely, too. I fear that our attention was being diverted to other things.

I guess the most charitable thing I can say about Raul's response is that it never ceases to surprise me that people looking at the same thing can have such different responses.

Thanks for taking him on.

Regards,

Mike

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Peter :

Well, DPR is not an "invited" forum. It attracts both the best and the worst of the world around us. It's also not a moderated forum, at least in the sense of the fora that I've worked as a moderator for. Threads that would seem to have offended the sponsors do disappear quickly, but flame wars stand unabashed.

So long as a forum sells their sponsors on "clickthroughs", there's precious little incentive to throttle down egregious behaviour.

I'm very much sobered when I see this level of photographic journalism. As much as I've progressed this last few years in my work and art, I know that I am so far yet from developing images that carry the emotional power and weight of so many other photographers. It's a goal to work towards.

Thanks very much for the link.

John P.

6. Peter
    I called my fiance up to look at the slideshow you are right on a very well done peice

7. Raul is a piece of work at times, and this is one of them. That was a wonderful series of photos. Tastfully done.

8. Don't miss Norman's journal . . .

He has posted a link and a password to the January newspaper article compiled from his journal entries. Gives insight and additional background to the images.

9. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Great images by Norm, truly great images, but idiots like Raul are one of the reasons why I don't miss DPR.

Neil