Bring the DSLR or not?

Posted this in another forum, but thought this might be a better venue.

The wife and I are going on a England choir trip, where we will visit London, Oxford, Stratford upon Avon, Gloucestershire, Bath, York, etc and will be singing in several cathedrals.

Preparing for the trip, I purchased a P7700 for my wife (arriving tomorrow), because she's beginning to catch my photo bug.

Bought the D7100 as an upgrade from my D90 less than a month ago. But am thinking about the trip, and the idea of carrying around the D7100 with my 16-85mm, it feels like a rock. I have a BlackRapid R strap, but don't want to scream out tourista, either.

I'm beginning to wonder if i should just travel with the P7700 and leave the D7100 at home. Hate to leave it in the hotel room and worry about theft while touring around.

Anyone have similar thoughts about cameras while touring, and what did you do?

While I wasn’t on “tour”, I did play tourist for a week in San Fransisco where the family and I would be out and about from morning till evening. The P7700 was always with me in a case I could wear on my belt. My D7000 came out only once and carrying it around all day probably would have gotten old. Most of my shots were taken outside, where you may have some great opportunities for interior architecture. Though, with say, a little gorilla pod, the P7700 would be up to some long exposure photography.

I played tourist in London for a week about two years ago with my D300S. No regrets, lugged it almost everywhere with me with my gi-normous 17-55 and a 50 1.4D prime. Carried my gear in a Crumpler messenger bag using the velcro panels for added security (can't open it unless you make a ton of noise), as well as a handstrap on the camera itself that let me clip the camera to my hand so it'll be more difficult for someone to just yank it out of my hand.

Overall I took close to a thousand shots and it was no issue, I took common sense precautions and didn't feel unsafe in London at any point. I was more worried in Paris which is well known for pick-pockets.

I have taken my D700 and 24-70 in every trip abroad. I have gotten used to the weight. I don't plan on seeing the countries again and the chance to get photographs at these locations come once in a lifetime.

the UK is fairly safe to take big gear with you plus you're not going to the only tourist with a camera there. You can always rent a sony NEX with some glass for a fraction of the weight.

The UK or any european city is fairly safe in my view. Personally for me it would feel like a waste to go on such a trip and not take my gear with me.

I wouldn't think about going to England without my D300. The scenery there is beautiful. I did 99% of my shooting with my 18-55VR.

Carole

In the end, what gear you need depends on what your subjects are and what you intend to do with the images. Most travel subject matter isn't very demanding on equipment capability, so it comes down to what you do with the images. If your images wind up on web based sharing, or social media sites, a P7700 provides enough technical IQ. The P7700 is also good enough for very good prints up to 11 x 17 at probably up to 800 ISO. Bigger prints, particularly with some cropping, really need a bigger sensor.

Now, need and want are two different things, and people just prefer bigger sensor cameras. The purpose of the trip is to enjoy yourself and have fun. Bring gear that maximizes that.

I have just seen this and am wondering what kind of people you think we are here in THE MOTHER COUNTRY :biggrin: We have far fewer mass murderers than you lot do and our Rednecks wear Burberry.:cool:

If you are going to be in a group, bring your DSLR and let your wife use hers. It isn't tht big a set u. I use a D3 and 24-70 and 70-200 for normal walk abouts. If I travel, my camera gear is the main focus - I use a shoulder bag and take what I need and just lug it. I never regret making the effort.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom