Bringin' Home the Mud - Late Day Osprey's

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Got to the nest yesterday, only about 2 hours later than planned, darned work ... :rolleyes:, and found that the cloud cover had rolled in. But I took a walk anyway, never set up the tripod, but did get a few handheld with the 200-400.

The nest is coming right along, which is a good thing, as the pair has been busy making, well, not omelletes :wink:, so they NEED to get the nest done. A week and a half ago, the piling was pretty much empty, here is how much nest is there now, notice that Mama is doing some "house cleaning and furniture rearranging".
    [​IMG]

I had always wondered how the nest stays together, and now watching the building process, I can see how the birds pick up not only damp grasses, but plain old mud as well, which is used to plaster the sticks together. Notice the eyes in the second shot, the nictitating membrane has covered the eye for protection from flying debris. The background is just the mud flat, it was low tide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did manage to find a patch of blue sky.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. What an awesome series Bill! I guess you are on first name basis with them by now?

3. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Great photos. Kinda like a front loader. (tractor refrence)

4. Nice action series Bill

Love to see them

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very well done Bill. You did a great job of dealing with the overcast lighting. Excellent series.

6. Nice set Bill. The 2nd & 3rd pics, ROCK. Love 'em. I can't believe all the times I've followed and photographed these birds, I've never caught a "pick up" shot (no fish..no nesting material..nada.). I'm still on the hunt for a fishing dive bomb run and catch. I've been close, but no cigar as of yet.

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice shooting Bill, I'd be proud to say these were my images.

8. Bill, I think this is one of your better series. The second shot is near perfect. I was too tired to venture out yesterday. I saw the clouds come in and decided to stay home. This weekend is sounding pretty good weather wise.

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent
    Your very best
    Right on the mark

I have a pic from last year called the mud slingin Osprey. But sure did not get him picking it up

10. Excellent series Bill. I think these are some of your best shots of the nest building process.

PS...you live entirely too close to the nest, being able to causually drop by whenever...ha..ha.

Louie

11. Beautiful! I like the way you documented the nest building - I'm learning something here! WOW! Keep em comin!:Waldo: :biggrin:

12. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    A very nice series of pictures
    well done great Comments as well

13. Like I said the other day, Bill - you PNW guys are so spoiled!

YET ANOTHER wonderful series...

14. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Great photos and interesting story. I didn't know they picked up mud like that.

15. Very interesting and very well done!

16. Well done, Bill! A terrific series - love the mud-grab shot!

17. Very nicely done, Bill. I love shots like this that are not only well-executed, but also tell a story.

Great job!

18. Thanks, all, I really appreciate the comments.

Nick, with all of those cute "little chick" shots you have been posting YOU call US Spoiled???? Shame on you :biggrin:

Frank, if we don't get used to dealing with the overcast lighting up here, we just don't shoot. Half the time we get so excited when the sun is actually out we forget to press the Shutter Button :wink:

I most appreciate the comments about "the story". One thing I have really learned the past few years, and Jim, Louie and I talk about this often, is how much more you "see" when you start watching these birds in their habitat. We missed the nest building last year, and wow, what things to learn. I always wondered how they kept the sticks together in the nest, and now watching the mud and wet grasses coming in, it all makes sense. And since these buggers won't catch fish "up close and personal", I'll gladly take these "up close and personal" building material pickup shots :biggrin: :biggrin:

19. Very nice Bill. Thanks for sharing...

Lil