Bringin' Home the Mud - Late Day Osprey's

Got to the nest yesterday, only about 2 hours later than planned, darned work ... :rolleyes:, and found that the cloud cover had rolled in. But I took a walk anyway, never set up the tripod, but did get a few handheld with the 200-400.

The nest is coming right along, which is a good thing, as the pair has been busy making, well, not omelletes :wink:, so they NEED to get the nest done. A week and a half ago, the piling was pretty much empty, here is how much nest is there now, notice that Mama is doing some "house cleaning and furniture rearranging".
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I had always wondered how the nest stays together, and now watching the building process, I can see how the birds pick up not only damp grasses, but plain old mud as well, which is used to plaster the sticks together. Notice the eyes in the second shot, the nictitating membrane has covered the eye for protection from flying debris. The background is just the mud flat, it was low tide.

I did manage to find a patch of blue sky.

Very well done Bill. You did a great job of dealing with the overcast lighting. Excellent series.

Nice set Bill. The 2nd & 3rd pics, ROCK. Love 'em. I can't believe all the times I've followed and photographed these birds, I've never caught a "pick up" shot (no fish..no nesting material..nada.). I'm still on the hunt for a fishing dive bomb run and catch. I've been close, but no cigar as of yet.

Bill, I think this is one of your better series. The second shot is near perfect. I was too tired to venture out yesterday. I saw the clouds come in and decided to stay home. This weekend is sounding pretty good weather wise.

Excellent
Your very best
Right on the mark

I have a pic from last year called the mud slingin Osprey. But sure did not get him picking it up

Thanks, all, I really appreciate the comments.

Nick, with all of those cute "little chick" shots you have been posting YOU call US Spoiled???? Shame on you :biggrin:

Frank, if we don't get used to dealing with the overcast lighting up here, we just don't shoot. Half the time we get so excited when the sun is actually out we forget to press the Shutter Button :wink:

I most appreciate the comments about "the story". One thing I have really learned the past few years, and Jim, Louie and I talk about this often, is how much more you "see" when you start watching these birds in their habitat. We missed the nest building last year, and wow, what things to learn. I always wondered how they kept the sticks together in the nest, and now watching the mud and wet grasses coming in, it all makes sense. And since these buggers won't catch fish "up close and personal", I'll gladly take these "up close and personal" building material pickup shots :biggrin: :biggrin:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom