Bringing camera to event question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by natethomas, Sep 5, 2008.

1. I'm going to see Jimmy Buffett tomorrow (10th summer in a row for me) and I'm trying to figure out my camera situation. The policy says that 'professional' cameras with removeable lenses are not allowed. I guess that rules out my D200. However their policy goes on to say the following:

"Unfortunately the issue of cameras is a little difficult. Some artists do allow them, some artists do not. However if cameras are allowed they must be disposable or small non-professional cameras. Think a simple point and shoot camera. Cameras with zoom lens and video recorders are not allowed."

Does this mean that even my wife's simple Canon digital camera with something like a 28-120 zoom isn't allowed?

I do plan on taking my D200 to capture some of the tailgating debauchery prior to the show.

2. I'm curious about the same thing. I want to take my D300 to the Coldplay concert here soon.

At the same venue I brought my D50 and 18-200 in last year and didn't have any trouble. I'm nervous about bringing the D300 and 28-70 this year as it is a little bit more beastly

3. I'm going to see Journey later this month and the venue does not allow DSLR with lenses longer than 3 1/2 inches discouraging telephoto lenses. This is similar to the Oracle in Oakland, but I did get to sneak in my friends 180mm 2.8 with no problem. Worst case senario is if you get caught at the door they'll just ask you to keep it in the car.

4. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    90% of the time unless you have permission from an event manager, you can't bring SLRs.
    Try and contact either the venue or the artist's event management team to get WRITTEN permission

5. It would be safe for your wife to tuck her p&s in her pocketbood. If they don't allow photography at all, they'll make an announcement at the start of the program. If they don't make an announcement, it will be safe to use it. I'd just suggest turning off any electronic beeps the camera is programmed to make.

The problem with dslrs is they are noisy. The sound of the mirror flapping is a big distraction to those in neighboring seats and rows, particularly if you're taking dozens of pictures as we're prone to do. Exercising your rights as a hobbyist at the expense of those trying to enjoy the show is an unbalanced equation.

6. you're going to Tweeter (er Comcast), right?

my daughter got bagged w/ her Canon SD1000 last year, which is a pretty small unit; she had to put it back in the car. You may want to have someone put it (P&S) in their privates...she hadn't done that. They seem to be stricter there than say BankBoston Pavilion.

BTW, you know the show was moved up to 3PM, right? Due to Hurricane Hanna. The parking lot opens @ 8AM....gotta think that will be a looooong day, kinda like a morning wedding w/ a lunchtime reception. :biggrin:

Have fun w/ the parrotheads!

7. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    And don't try to be creative. "Professional cameras with removeable lenses" is meant as "any camera with a removeable lens is a professional camera", not "a non-professional camera with removeable lens is still allowed".

The entry to a venue is not the place for a discussion on semantics. I always bring a disposeable camera. Sure, a D200 makes better pictures but unless I'm hired to shoot I'm going for the concert in the first place and I don't want to worry about what happens with my camera either.

8. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah

I agree whole heartadely.

and besides at a Land sharks show up there, i wouldnt want my equipment anywhere in thatvenue with what would be going on lol. Grab yourself a cheap disposable and enjyo the show.

But yes please have the D200 in the Lot there are always greeat pics to be had there!!!

Might i add damn i wish i was going!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. dking99

dking99

Aug 19, 2008
    Rockville, MD
    Problem I always have with this is that the person you speak to says one thing and what is actually allowed is another. I have dealt with 2 scenarios:

#1 - They tell me no cameras allowed at all, I show up, and every other person has a camera in their hand snapping pictures repeatedly.

#2 - They say that cameras are allowed and when I get there, they turn me down, along with others. It has happened before.

10. gladjo

gladjo Guest

Try a Metallica concert. :biggrin::wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.