Bringing Down The House

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarrell, May 23, 2005.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    About 20 years ago my wife and I attended a Baptist Church about 12 miles from our home. At that time it was called Bethesda Baptist. In later years the church was sold and most of the members dispersed to join other congregations. An African American congregation bought the church and from what I understand were doing great and loved the place. Now the black community is noted for having rousing, foot stomping, get up out of your seat music and sermons. During the afternoon on this past Sunday about 200 people were in the church, according to the local paper, when one of the trustees of the church approached the pulpit and told the preacher that 'the Spirit of the Lord' told him to get everyone out! And they did.
    Shortly after that the roof fell in..
    and I mean literally fell in. For some reason the walls stayed upright although they have bowed out considerably..
    The good news is no one was killed or injured. I don't know if the 30 year old structure is a total loss, but I imagine it is and that is a shame.
    Jarrell

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow that is something.

I love the purple steple :>))

3. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Gale, it is a very unfortunate event and I can imagine the congregation of the church is devastated by it. That everyone evacuated the building just before the collapse is a miracle.
    Thank God for that.
    Buildings can be rebuilt, lives can't.
    Jarrell

4. Nice story......glad to hear no one was hurt!! :D :D :D

5. Well, considering you don't have snow loads there, sounds like some dodgy construction. There is no reason whatsoever for a roof to cave in if built to code. Either that, or else someone decided to remove some walls inside! They are so lucky no one was hurt or even killed! What a story!

6. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I dunno which it is Sandi. Maybe the insurance will cover the expense of building a new one.
    I hope it will anyway.
    Jarrell