Bristling Bristlecone Pine

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Desert Rat, Nov 21, 2005.

1. While away in October in the Eastern Sierra of California I headed up to the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest at 10,000ft elevation.

This is a macro shot of a Bristlecone Pine Cone. Note that the cones are a purple color.

Enjoy

Comments and critiques welcome

Attached Files:

2. very nice comp, and no sharpness problems here. what lens?

3. I like these kind of nature shots. Nice details as well!

4. Dave and Kevin thanks.

Dave to answer your question it was either a 105 Micro or a 70-200VR. But I was using a cable release and mirror lock up when shooting these types of shots...
    Cannot usually do that with animals or wildlife... :biggrin:

5. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Beautiful, I can almost smell the pine!

6. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    Very nice composition. The subtle tones and textures are captured well. How well do you think that the D2X rendered the "purple" tones of the cone? Purple is often a difficult color for digital cameras, as it was even for film.

If I were to cavil, I might suggest a bit more depth of field to improve the sharpness of the right side of the cone, without blurring the needles in front. I find managing depth of field is the most challenging part of close up photography. However, this would only be a very minor change to a very fine photo.

Your signature is amusing. Obviously Elliot Erwitt has some sort of problem with Ansel Adams! It seems to me that the zone system is all about visualization ...

7. Very good macro shot. Nicely composed. The icing helps to make the pine cone as center of interest.

I agree with Gerry about a bit more DOF to make the left and right needles less blurred. The actual degree of blur is a bit distracting for me (but that's my taste).

8. thanks everyone.. It was a bit dificult to judge DOF with the LCD since it was so darn bright .. I wanted to check it out after shooting a image but it was quite hard to view on the LCD...