1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Bristol Temple Meads Railway Station Architecture

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by daveg, Nov 11, 2018.

1. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    Bristol Temple Meads
    DSC_2687-2.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    DSC_2688-1.jpg
    DSC_2694-1.jpg
    Railway Station Architecture

• Like Like x 1
  2. Really nice set, Dave! I'm curious: why did you decide on the perspective distortion in #2 that is the opposite of what happens when pointing the lens upward?

3. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Stunning set! The architecture really stands out! Well done.

Perhaps #2 has a bit of barrel distortion in the center and right from the wide angle?

4. Wonderful b&w set of a beautiful architecture, Dave!

I'm sure Michael Portillo would adore this as well :) 

5. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    Thanks Mike, the way the camera sees buildings is different to the way my eye sees them so I go for perpendicular without even thinking about it.

Thanks Bart, I believe that a copy of the book that this set was taken for was sent to Portillo by the author. I think that he enjoyed it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/West-Paddi...41968216&sr=8-1&keywords=West+from+paddington

6. I should have been more specific. The buildings especially on the right side aren't perpendicular and the tops of the buildings are larger rather than smaller than at the bottom. Another way of putting it is that there is dramatic perspective distortion but the distortion is the opposite of normal distortion. Karen mentioned possible barrel distortion in that image but I don't detect that kind of distortion.

7. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    Agreed, but the uprights are perpendicular and that was the objective. Isn't that what a PC lens does? I don't have one.

P.S. All three have been corrected, not just #2.

8. Ahhh. Now I think I understand: A PC lens will make the uprights appear perpendicular though without creating the other distortions. My guess is that the image straight out of the camera displayed the typical perspective distortion with the lines converging toward the top. You then probably made the uprights vertical during post-processing. However, the distortion was probably so severe in the original image that the post-processing software couldn't make those uprights vertical without also introducing other distortion. When that happens with my images, I let some of the perspective distortion remain just at the point that the other distortion isn't introduced.

9. Great set--very string images. #1 is stunning.
    I've been playing around with perspective corrections in DXOPL2 a bit--works best when the original image in not terribly out of square, as was the case in many old buildings I shot in Belgium, but it helps.

10. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    To me it is more important to have those corners of the building perpendicular. It is what I admire about Glen's images. Hardly a converging vertical to be seen anywhere.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  11. Yup Glenn is indeed the master. My biggest fault is not standing square to buildings, walls, etc.

12. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    Thanks Nick, I used the tools in ACR here and #2 was a severe test.

13. I also use those tools. This makes me wonder if the tools in Photoshop work better in the more extreme situations, as I've never compared them.

14. Very nice set. The skies look so dark that they make me wonder if you used an IR filter when shooting those.

15. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    Nik Vivesa and Silver Efx and/or ACR will darken skies quite effectively. I haven't used filters on lens for a long time.

16. Good processing then (y)

17. Great set Dave. Beautiful building. Really like #1.

18. As Binnur said, the dark skies give them an IR look and feel.
    Nice work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.