Broad-winged Hawk??

Yep, 1st year Red-tailed. Beautiful shots. Very useful shots too as they are intensely sharp details of tail feathers. Looks like your variations in targets are starting to improve in your neck of the woods!

Hi Frank,
What new lens? I don't have time to read all the posts but have looked with awe at your great hawk shots.

Sure like your PP on these pictures..or were they right out of the camera?

Cheers to you and Janie,
Gaye

Excellent! I only hope to get this good someday.
Thanks Larry. All it takes is shoot, shoot, shoot, then shoot some more. :smile:

Red Tail...almost 100% sure...
Thanks Chris.

Wow, nice crisp shots. He's beautiful.
Thanks Raian.

Frank, great shots of this beautiful bird.
BTW they view near perfect on my monitor.

Regards
Darrell
I appreciate it Darrell.

Flew, come join me in winder with that long lens...I will take you to a place where you have never seen so many hawks...they were like feeder birds tonight! Check my thread https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=88890
Chris, I did check out your thread, and I may take you up on your offer. What are you doing this weekend? :biggrin:

Yep, 1st year Red-tailed. Beautiful shots. Very useful shots too as they are intensely sharp details of tail feathers. Looks like your variations in targets are starting to improve in your neck of the woods!
Thanks Thomas. Actually, this is one of the only subjects that appeared for me weekend before last, and it wasn't from lack of trying. I was certainly appreciative though.

Wow! Thats a beauty Frank, so clear I can almost touch it on my monitor.

Anthony
Thanks Anthony.

Hi Frank,
What new lens? I don't have time to read all the posts but have looked with awe at your great hawk shots.

Sure like your PP on these pictures..or were they right out of the camera?

Cheers to you and Janie,
Gaye
Hi Gaye. Nice to hear from you. It isn't brand new, but it's new to me. I got a very nice Nikkor 400 2.8 AF-S II from a fellow Cafe member a little over a month ago, and have been trying to find something to shoot with it ever since. This fellow was most accommodating.

I hope that you and Stan are doing well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frank I am sorry to be late to the post. Great job and I too find hawks to be very hard to ID even with a hawb book. Wish I had some time to shoot. Maybe next weekend.

Frank I am sorry to be late to the post. Great job and I too find hawks to be very hard to ID even with a hawb book. Wish I had some time to shoot. Maybe next weekend.
Jim,

You aren't late. I only posted it last night. :smile:

Thanks for the kind words. I wish you luck this weekend (me too :biggrin:).

Hi Frank I missed these earlier on, very nice selection of images the third one is my favourite but all seem well exposed and sharp where they need to be.

Phillip.

:smile: :biggrin: :smile:

hi Frank, I stopped by here too late to help with the ID (and obviously my help wasn't needed!) but just had to say these are fantastic shots. Tempts me to trade my 200-400 for that 400 2.8 after all.... !!!

Great shots.:)

It's red-tailed hawk.
Thanks 3. :smile:

Hi Frank I missed these earlier on, very nice selection of images the third one is my favourite but all seem well exposed and sharp where they need to be.

Phillip.

:smile: :biggrin: :smile:
Phillip, when I posted these, you were probably asleep, so I'll let you off this time. Thanks for the kind words. I'm still in awe of your 1120mm 1/50 shots. I'm going to try sliding toward slower shutter / smaller aperture if I get any good shooting chances this week and see if I can come close. :rolleyes:

hi Frank, I stopped by here too late to help with the ID (and obviously my help wasn't needed!) but just had to say these are fantastic shots. Tempts me to trade my 200-400 for that 400 2.8 after all.... !!!
Thanks Janet. As for trading lenses based on a comparison of my shots to yours, I'd be more likely to get the 200-400 than the converse. :biggrin:

The 400 is a seriously good lens, but the shots that you brought back from Brazil are about as good as I've seen. I can't imagine that they could be any better with a different lens.

The 400 is a seriously good lens, but the shots that you brought back from Brazil are about as good as I've seen. I can't imagine that they could be any better with a different lens.

aww thanks Frank, the 200-400 is a great lens, but from what I've seen, the 400 2.8 is indeed sharper. And I'm thinkin' of that 1.7 tc in combination...with the 400 2.8 its more than doable...not so great with the 200-400. Still, I'm not really tempted to give up the 200-400---the zoom was invaluable on the trip and I never would have gotten the shots from the boat with the 400 2.8. What I need is to be able to afford BOTH! :biggrin:

Frank, your doing almost as well with your new lens as you did with the 300/2.8, which borders on perfection. These pictures are great.

Your right, he was keeping his eye on you, looking like he was ready to flush.

I don't see any significant artifacts of over-sharpening.

I have reports of a osprey nest and roosting tree, probably closer to your house than the dam; almost the same drive up situation. I'll check it out this weekend. If I find it and it looks good, I'll let you know.

Latest threads

Top Bottom