Broad-winged Hawk??

Frank, your doing almost as well with your new lens as you did with the 300/2.8, which borders on perfection. These pictures are great.

Your right, he was keeping his eye on you, looking like he was ready to flush.

I don't see any significant artifacts of over-sharpening.

I have reports of a osprey nest and roosting tree, probably closer to your house than the dam; almost the same drive up situation. I'll check it out this weekend. If I find it and it looks good, I'll let you know.

Pete,

If you find anything to shoot, especially Osprey, please let me know. I went down to the UAH pond this afternoon and saw absolutely nothing. I'm ready to shoot. :rolleyes:

Good grief Frank! That's gotta be about the prettiest redtail I've ever seen! As ususal, you did a fantastic job capturing him! Just love the composition, the lighting, and I even like the way he "posed" for ya! Keep em comin!

Wow, great light! I'm impressed with how clean those images are too; sharp AND noise free! That 400 seems to take the tele-extender quite well I'd have to say!

Really, really nice.
Todd

Good grief Frank! That's gotta be about the prettiest redtail I've ever seen! As ususal, you did a fantastic job capturing him! Just love the composition, the lighting, and I even like the way he "posed" for ya! Keep em comin!
Thanks Dianne. I've looked for him every time that I've gone out recently, but haven't seen him any where near.

Wow, great light! I'm impressed with how clean those images are too; sharp AND noise free! That 400 seems to take the tele-extender quite well I'd have to say!

Really, really nice.
Todd
Thanks Todd. I sure do envy the trip that you are about to embark on. Sounds wonderful. Have a great time and stay in touch.

R

RForshey

Wow, I need to come to "birdland" more often! Great shots Frank..

Frank, that is a very, very excellent picture!!!! Just to be on the safe side, I saved one of your picture and forward it to a friend at the Nation Audubon Society. He just sent me a conformation that it is a 100% Juvenile RT Hawk. When in doubt I will find out!

Many Red-tailed Hawks show bright, brick-red tails, while other species show reddish tails. Young Red-tails have a brown, banded tails. The Eastern forms has a dark belly band while elsewhere across the continent the dark belly band is absent on the Red-tailed Hawks. Don't forget that there are the Dark morph Red-tailed Hawks as well.

Wow, I need to come to "birdland" more often! Great shots Frank..
Thanks Randy. You definitely need to stop by more often. :smile:

Frank, that is a very, very excellent picture!!!! Just to be on the safe side, I saved one of your picture and forward it to a friend at the Nation Audubon Society. He just sent me a conformation that it is a 100% Juvenile RT Hawk. When in doubt I will find out!

Many Red-tailed Hawks show bright, brick-red tails, while other species show reddish tails. Young Red-tails have a brown, banded tails. The Eastern forms has a dark belly band while elsewhere across the continent the dark belly band is absent on the Red-tailed Hawks. Don't forget that there are the Dark morph Red-tailed Hawks as well.
Wow Debbie, talk about going to the horse's (or is it bird's) mouth. Thanks for the assistance.

B

bobbyb

Imho your long lens technique is just fine. This a wonderful set of photographs of a juvenile red tailed hawk. I love them all. Sometimes nature just cooperates.

Imho your long lens technique is just fine. This a wonderful set of photographs of a juvenile red tailed hawk. I love them all. Sometimes nature just cooperates.
Thanks Bobby, and welcome to the Cafe. With regard to long lens technique, my impression is that there are a very few that are naturals, and then there are the rest of us. The rest of us have to practice to get and stay sharp. To practice, you have to have something to shoot. In my case, there have been few, few, few things to shoot, so I am probably a little on the rusty side. That said, I'm pretty happy with these. :biggrin:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom