Broadway Photo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Owenh, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Owenh

Owenh

Nov 24, 2006
    Hueytown, Al.
    My son has looked up Broadway Photo on the internet. He saw a Nikon D80,
    18/200 Vr lens & tripod and some other things for $899.00. Is this for real? He is interested in a Nikon D80, but I told him to be careful where he buys from. Has anybody dealt with this company? Seems just too good to be true.

2. Definitely too good to be true.

Read here.

3. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    "If it sounds too good to be true, it is indeed too good to be true". Look at the ratings for any vendor at: www.resellerratings.com to get first hand information about the vendor. I'm sure others will chime in soon.

BTW, here is the review on Broadway Photo .... RUNNNNNNN

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Broadway_Photo

4. Here is their store rating.
    A friendly suggestion: stay away from these clowns, they'll bait & switch on you.

5. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    While your at it, take a look at these sites, all of similar stature. Most these outfits open under a dozen "store fronts", and do all these unsavory things to people until a front does no good, then they can it and open 2 more.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

6. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I made the mistake of buying my 18-200 VR from these guys. They finally delivered a grey market version, but it was a shady experience. I would NOT recommend doing business with Broadway Photo.

I placed my order online, but then they had to call me back to "confirm" my order. Then came the hard upsell for more product, extended warranty, etc. When I declined all of that, the guy actually just hung up on me without a word. When I tried to call back to verify a tracking number, it got worse. People, if they even answered the phone, were rude and continued to hang up on me.

I finally called AMEX to decline the charges (placed well before shipping). Only then did they finally send the lens to me.

7. I have a rule, with the exception of B&H, I wont buy from any NYC area store.

8. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Jack, that's not a "bad rule". However, J and R can also be trusted on new. Adorama can be on new stuff at least. :) no comment on used. While I am sure there are a few other decent places to buy, of the major houses, that's it for me with BH.

9. Excellent advice! If I check a place and they aren't even on resellerratings, I usually won't buy from them either.

And as others have stated, B&H, J&R, and Adorama are all reputable vendors. I have never had an issue with any of them. The general concensus about these "too good to be true" places is that they lowball the price on cameras and lenses and try to sell you a 1GB media card for $200, and other overpriced "junk" to offset the lower cost of the camera. When you decline, they just don't send the camera and say "it's out of stock".

Stay far away from those places.

10. Its really sad how stores like this can stay in business :(
    B&H is where I do all my business.

Anthony