Broken 28mm f2 AI lens... Want to fix

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Removed User 2, Dec 22, 2005.

1. The focus barrel of my 28mm f2 got stuck. First it wouldn't go to infinity, then closer and closer and it's now stuck at close focus and moves about 2mm back and forth. I suspect it's clogged by some internal part. I'd like to open the lens myself. How do I do this?

Bjorn? Can you help?

Besides, does Nikon still fix those?

2. I'd simply want to take out the focus barrel and check without really messing around. Just to have a look. Who knows.

How do I unscrew that focus barrel?

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Toooo bad. Hate when stuff like that happens..

Wanna buy a 28 2.8 AIS :>))

4. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Well, remote diagnostics isn't easy, but your description sounds like something is jamming the focusing helix. Remove the mounting screws (careful, you need a screw driver which fits perfectly to give sufficient grip since these screws probably have been loc-tited) and lift out the mount, then turn the lens upside-down and shake it to see whether "something" falls out.

The 28/2 has a complicated inner construction due to its unusual CRC method using the front elements, so I'd advise against further probing on your own. If you can't locate the offending item, give the lens to a qualified repair shop.

There is always the possibility of the grease on the helicoid being gummed up due to a long period of no activity. If this is the case the lens needs professional cleaning and relubrication.

5. Hi Bjorn,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Do you mean I have to unscrew the 3 screw AI lens mount?

I took off the rubber focusing ring and there is a hole and a screw inside that hole. Shall I unscrew that one to take out the focus ring?

Thanks again! It's such a nice lens, I'd hate to let it go :mad:

6. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Oh no! unscrew the 3 screws on the lens mount, anything else = strictly OFF limits.

7. Okay!

Thanks again Bjorn for your help! I was getting ready to open it all up and I was starting to see me wrapping the whole lens bits and throwing it all into the garbage (past experiences with anything I tried to fix:wink: )

If it doesn't work out I'll ship the lens to Nikon and keep people informed on the cost.

Regards!