Critique Broken but still on top

My wife broke this while washing it. It seems lately that we should stop washing our things made out of glass and just let them stay dirty. :eek:

Setup
The background is translucent vellum lit from behind by a medium continuous-light lamp and the tabletop is a drop cloth. The image was changed to B&W by desaturating to eliminate prismatic refraction.

Focus Stacking
15 images focus-bracketed at Nikon step size 3 stacked in Helicon Focus at its default settings. The rear edge of the tabletop was intentionally left out of focus.

Mike 2020-09-17 23-07-33--0002-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Beautiful. Lighting glass is tricky- reflections here controlled very well.
The perspective from the receding black base works well.
I am not sure about the decision to have the background go to blur. Everything else is so sharp it almost looks like a mistake.
gary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you to Nick and Gary!

I am not sure about the decision to have the background go to blur. Everything else is so sharp it almost looks like a mistake.
It would have been interesting to shoot it both ways to determine which way I like it best. The current look has a three-dimensional feel that I think would have been lessened if everything had been in focus. My other thought is that leaving the rear area out of focus helps keep the eye drawn to the front parts of the glass, which is my intent. I haven't thrown away the broken glass, so I may be trying other compositions and styles with it.

I really like the shapes you created with your lighting Mike but I think the image might look better if you crop it from above the cloth (or may be a different tabletop ?)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom