Bromeliad

A dear friend brought me a bromeliad when my dad died a few weeks ago. I finally got around to photographing it. It is spectacular and I hope I did it justice. I tried focus stacking on the Z6.
_DSC6136-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lovely shot, Terri!

Thank you, Dossy!!

Wow, what a beauty! Perfect capture.

Thank you, Ted. I had fun redoing the focus stacking until I got it right.

Very nicely done. The subdued light really lets you draw out the detail. How are you doing Terri?

Thank you, John. I'm doing well.....but very busy. My dad passed away a few weeks ago and my siblings and I have been busy caring for my mom.

Excellent job getting all the important parts in focus, Terri. Did you use Auto White Balance? Did it get the colors right?
Thanks, Jim. When you do your smaller wildflowers how many shots do you take and what step width do you use? I did 15 shots with a width of 4. I only needed to use 11 of the 15 shots. I always use auto white balance, but I often tweak it in Lightroom. I think I added a little warmth to this, but I can't remember for sure. I think the colors look pretty close.

Thanks, Jim. When you do your smaller wildflowers how many shots do you take and what step width do you use? I did 15 shots with a width of 4. I only needed to use 11 of the 15 shots.

Terri, I'm still learning about that and don't yet have any firm advice to give. Off the top of my head, I probably would have used more shots with a smaller step width, but I certainly can't fault your result! It looks fine. And I almost always end up not using a good many of the shots.

I always use auto white balance, but I often tweak it in Lightroom. I think I added a little warmth to this, but I can't remember for sure. I think the colors look pretty close.

My philosophy on white balance is to try to get it right in camera. I use Kelvin WB and adjust the temperature until what I see on the LCD matches what my eyes see. With my DSLR cameras that meant taking several test shots. With the Z, however, you can see your changes in advance and get it right on the first try!

Adjusting later has the risk that you won't remember accurately what the subject color was.

Terri, I'm still learning about that and don't yet have any firm advice to give. Off the top of my head, I probably would have used more shots with a smaller step width, but I certainly can't fault your result! It looks fine. And I almost always end up not using a good many of the shots.

My philosophy on white balance is to try to get it right in camera. I use Kelvin WB and adjust the temperature until what I see on the LCD matches what my eyes see. With my DSLR cameras that meant taking several test shots. With the Z, however, you can see your changes in advance and get it right on the first try!

Adjusting later has the risk that you won't remember accurately what the subject color was.
Thank you, Jim. I just looked at the Bromeliad alongside my photo and I may have warmed it up a little too much.

Latest threads

Top Bottom