Bronx Zoo anyone ?

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by JerseyJay, May 22, 2005.

1. I'm thinking about going to Bronx Zoo again. I will cross post this on Fred Miranda and Nikonians.

I'm thinking about June 4-5th weekend. Is anyone interested ?

If we decide to go on June 4th, I can bring 3 additional people in for free. Perks of my company. Please let me know.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Boy wish I could go. Haven't been thier in 53 years...lolol

True..

3. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Jay,
    I am working near there in the Bronx photographing some animals at a shelter. Assuming I am not too tired (and don;t have too much excess equipment to lug), I would love to join you for a while at the zoo.
    The only thing is that I don't want you to plan on or around me, as I don't know yet when I will be there (should be in the 12-2 range I think)

The good news is that if the butterfly exhibit is in full swing (I think), and I may be carrying 4 extra speedlights and two small light stands, and we could try to do some neat stuff (zoo staff permitting)

twig

4. Twig,

I'm not sure how but we could meet up in the Zoo. We can exchange information via email and call each other in the Zoo. I would love to do a small PRO session in butterfly exhibit.

email me jayluto at hotmail dot com

5. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Jay -

Can't confirm yet, but I would love to join you. And I might be able to pull of a little surprise for you.

I'm strictly an amateur, but a pretty decent photographer. I've only been to the zoo once and wanted to kill myself because I didn't bring a camera.

The potential surprise is that the Zoo has a close relationship with the Wildlife Conservation Society. In fact I think WCS owns and runs the Zoo. And my older brother runs WCS. He has been trying to get me to come up for years to stay with special permission after the 5:30 closing time for some fantastic opportunities with no people around and some specially set up for us. I know my brother is up to his *** in some legal problems that date back years before his retirement, so I don't know whether he would be available, and I doubt we could do it without him. I also don't know how large a group they could accomodate.

I'm interested in your outing in any case, and I'll get back to you if I can pull off the after hours deal.

Gordon

6. Gordon,

Wow. This would be great.

Please keep me posted. Having a pass for after hours shooting would be a dream come true.

Please keep me posted off line - jayluto at hotmail dot com

We have about 5 people now.

7. Gordon,

Please email me.

We are meeting on June 4th on Bronx River parking lot at 9am. Please let me know if you are interested.

jayluto at hotmail dot com

8. I'd love to meet you there...trying to negotiate duty swap

I'm on duty that day at home, but I'm trying to negotiate a duty swap with my wife. (It always costs me double in chores...NEVER marry a lawyer!) Would love to be there, the butterfly house last year was a joy.

Exciting to hear from Gordon. I had the chance to tour the Washington DC zoo before opening - in fact, starting right at sunrise - a couple years ago as a perk to those who'd been particularly nice "friends of the zoo". I have NEVER enjoyed a zoo as much. At sunrise the animals were amazingly active, wish I'd been a photographer then. The peak (and most scary) event was at the tiger compound. They're given large aluminum beer kegs as pool toys. The tiger pushed it way under and then let go; the keg popped up above the water about four or five feet, which was fun to watch; then the tiger swatted the keg, hard, and it flew out of the enclosure and rattled off down the path. Yikes, imagine getting beaned by an aluminum beer keg and having to explain THAT to your insurance company!

Any objections if I bring along a 14 year old "kind of interested" photographer?

9. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Sure wish I could join you, but have to attend a wedding that day. JFYI....if you are planing to meet at the Bronx River Parking lot, the gates to the parking lot dont open to 10am. In other words, you cant get into the parking lot till the gates open. Cars on a nice weekend start lining up at the gates around 930.

Look forward to seeing your photos.

regards

RFC

10. Re: I'd love to meet you there...trying to negotiate duty sw

Ednaz,
    No problem at all. The more the merrier. Please keep me posted so I know if you are coming or not.

See you on Saturday. As of now, we are having great weather !!!

11. Thanks for heads up. Wish you could join us.

12. Despite shaky weather, we are still going 100%. They are saying showers until 8-9am tomorrow so we should be fine at 10am. We have 4 people who are 100% in, whatever the weather we will get.

Please let me know if you are coming so we don't miss anyone before we go in.

13. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  14. Jay,

I did see this post but wasn't sure if I would be able to make it down there in time. Long story short, the gf and I did make it down to the zoo at 11am. We ended up spending well over 4 hours roaming around. You have some great shots, and a a number of them look very familiar :)

I did look around for Nikon owners and hoped to bump into you all, but no luck. I saw more disposable and point and shoots cams. Anyways, we'll have to try something in the future.

Cheers!

15. Eugene,

Thanks for your feedback.

You should have called me. I left my cell-phone # here.

See you next time.

16. JamesMor

JamesMor

Jun 28, 2005
    New York
    Next Time...

Hey,

I will be gone from the 17th to the 24th, but I would be game for this after I come back.

-JM

17. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017