Bronze Brush

Great light that defines the texture, shine and shape. I realize that you didn't ask for critique, but if you get rid of the many dots in the tabletop and background and take those areas to total black, you will elevate the image to an entirely new level.

Thanks Mike, always happy to receive CC.
I spent ages getting rid of hundred or so spots, I should have done it differently by selecting the whole black area.

What created the spots?
I’m guessing the f/16 aperture combined with a dirty sensor?
That's not my guess for two reasons: The spots are so precisely defined that I've never seen spots like that created by stuff on my sensor. He mentioned that he got rid of about 100 spots and I don't believe his sensor was so dirty that it created that many spots.

Just tiny dust specs Mike on a black ceramic tile that I use for shots like this. I thought I had blown them all off.
I use glossy, black, opaque plexiglass for photos made in this style. Though it's understandable that I get a lot of dust in the environment of my makeshift studio (it's a storage room), I don't think I would ever be able to eliminate all the dust even in a better situation.

Thanks Mike, over the years I have managed to scratch this black tile in a few places. I've been to a lot of tile shops and black tiles must have gone out of fashion as I can't get a replacement anywhere. I did consider getting some plexiglass as its in stock in a glass shop in our town but was unsure what it would be like. Thanks for letting me know it work.

I also went to a local kitchen builder years ago and got some sheets of the laminate that the glue on top of cheaper kitchen cabinets in different colours. It bends nicely for endless backgrounds.

I did consider getting some plexiglass
The problem with the plexiglass is that I can't imagine anything scratching easier. Don't ever move an object across it; relocate the object by lifting it from the surface and setting it down in the new location. I use one side of the plexiglass for a few years, then the other side, and then I buy a new piece.

have you ever tried black cloth under plain glass?
The characteristic to be aware of with plain glass and regular mirrors is that they produce a double reflection. There is a very expensive kind of mirror whose name escapes me that produces the same single reflection that plexiglass produces. Another issue with plain glass is that it has a green cast; the thicker the glass, the more the green cast.

EDIT: I was wrong about the plain glass producing a double reflection. I just now checked my photos and only the regular mirror produces it.

By the way, if you use a black background and any highly reflective surface such as plain glass or a mirror as the tabletop, you'll achieve the black look in the tabletop because the tabletop will reflect the background. After checking my photos, I came to the conclusion that I've never used a tabletop of plain glass on top of black fabric or any black surface.

Last edited:
What is this kind of brush typically used to clean? Or maybe it's used for a purpose other than cleaning?

Mike - These are called bore brushes, and come in different sizes for different caliber barrels of pistols or rifles. The threaded end screws onto a cleaning rod, which is then run through the barrel (with the appropriate cleaning solution) to remove either lead or copper fouling from the inside of the barrel.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom