1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Brook and Slender Blue Dragons

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by j.ankanpaa, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Hello!

I spend couple of days in area near our summer cottage. There´re great places to see Gomphidae and Cordulecaster speacies there. By looking a map I think it would easily take a lifetime to explore all of those potential places there.

This is a Cordulecaster boltonii, a Brook Dragon and he´s muncing some sort of a Bumblebee
    13-140708009.
    NIKON D200    ---    300mm    f/8.0    1/80s    ISO 200

Place where these were photographed is called Rooster Ditch
    13-140708019.
    NIKON D200    ---    300mm    f/11.0    1/80s    ISO 200

13-140708025.
    NIKON D200    ---    300mm    f/8.0    1/320s    ISO 200

13-140708026.
    NIKON D200    ---    300mm    f/8.0    1/250s    ISO 200

This one is most likely another one I saw in there. It perched a bit further than the first one and there seemed to be a battle zone somewhere between where their territories overlap. I haven´t seen them more than 1 or 2 at the same time, so I think they must have quite large territories in control...
    13-140708035.
    NIKON D200    ---    300mm    f/8.0    1/320s    ISO 200

Another nice Dragon I saw the same day. Extremely rare here, but can be found if knew where to go. Slender Blue Dragon, Orthetrum coerulescens
    13-140708050.
    NIKON D200    ---    300mm    f/8.0    1/125s    ISO 200

13-140708069.
    NIKON D200    ---    300mm    f/8.0    1/400s    ISO 200

13-140708055.
    NIKON D200    ---    300mm    f/8.0    1/400s    ISO 200

All shots with Nikkor 300mm AF-S f/4

Thanks for looking! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2008
  2. Great shots, Jukka. I always find it interesting to see one eating. I've never observed that in the short time I have been photographing them. Thanks for sharing your work.

3. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I love those shots Jukka. I hope to find a C. boltonii one day myself. Maybe next week. That's quite a big lunch he caught there. We call him the King Dragonfly. The O. coerulescens is a pretty, charming and busy small dragonfly. Beautiful shots of him too. We call him Little Blue Arrow.

4. Great lunch shot.

5. Thanks, Tom!

It´s seems it´s a never ending Molok´s mouth... they can seriously eat :eek: 

Tak, Torben!

I really hope you can see them, they´re wonderful Dragons... King Dragon? In Denmark? How come I have a thought that it´s the Queen who have ruled in Denmark in decades? ... Maybe it should be called a Queen Dragon... atleast it should, the female boltonii is that huge... :smile:

I noticed you have got O. coerlulescens too... from Skåne?

Thanks, Johnny!

Well, they got to eat... Ofcourse it seems quite heavy to eat a bumblebee, but they really are predators...

6. I'm really starting to see why these things become addicting. Nice pix!

glenn

7. Hi Glenn!

"these things" ?1? :150:

Yes, they´re very addicting... but I have started to enjoy more and more just watching them... I have wondred already am I going to take a single shot next summer... or just watcing them...

8. Great series Jukka.

9. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Jukka,
    The Cordulecaster boltonii is an impressive dragon. Very nice. The Slender Blue Dragon looks a lot like our Western Pondhawk Male in coloring. How well does the Cordulecaster fly after eating a bee that large? If I ate that much I would just want to take a nap.

Great series.

10. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Yes. It is only reported from 2 or 3 rivers in Jutland which would be a 5 hours drive. Skåne is only 2.5 hours drive. There were plenty of them where I was. In the sunshine they were very active, not still for long but often changing positions and returning to the same place. I see why we call them Little Blue Arrow.

11. Thanks, Ron!

Thanks, Paul!

Boltonii is very impressive, especially female which is along side with Aeshna crenata the biggest Dragon we have...

Guess what he did after he ate that? He ate some more! :smile: I guess they just eat and eat as much they can because next day, even week can be bad weather wise and they can´t hunt at all...

Hej, Torben!

They´re nice little Dragons. I actually once more was suprized how small they really are. There were also L. dubias at the same place (which is really weird) and they are about the same size...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.