Brooklyn Cyclones (Single A Minors) Baseball

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by twig, Jul 16, 2005.

1. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Hello,
    I got a new (to me) 400/2.8 AF-S to use tonight, I am quite please with the isolation (bokeh is lovely) and the closer view (was using 70-200VR before),
    Far less cropping with d2h is quite imporant,

This was a crazy weather day, it never rained but was so humid everythign was covered with a mist-like fog. Doing some levels on the images improves the color, but these are far from optimal conditions.

I started also using my noise reduction (I use noiseware) more aggressively to see how it would do.

The Cycloens lost 7-3 to the Williamsport Crosscutters
    #10 Josh Petersen was 2 for 3
    [​IMG]

#40 Jorge Reyes was teh Cyclone starter, he gave up 3 earned runs (4 total) over 5 innings for the loss
    [​IMG]

Luis Munoz #45 (Williamsport) pitched 6 innings, giving up only 1 run for the win
    [​IMG]

Armand Gaerlan #6, the Cyclones 2Bman was 2-4 with a homerun and 2RBI, here he is congratulated at hte plate after his homer
    [​IMG]

#7, SS, Brett Lillibridge 1-5, HR, 3RBI for Williamport
    [​IMG]

For those of you following my questions about d2x, glass, etc. to improve my sports shooting, I definitely am happy with the 400/2.8 and think it was the right decision. However next chunk of cash I get , I think I will be buying a d2hs for better high iso performance.

2. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    Hi Twig,

Nice shots man !!! Some of them are loaded with energy and power like number one and two just fantastic. Great to see you didn't forget the human aspect like for example the fourth one which is great.

I don't have any idea whether it would be a good move to buy the D2Hs when having a D2x. The way I see it is; D2x is a enhanced D2H and D2Hs. But like I have said before here, I don't know that much about it, not enough for sure. I'm a bit confused when it comes to D2H(s)'s, the gap between those and the D2x is big when it comes to pixels. But the results you get out of the D2H(s) are great. I geuss the more pixels the slower.

Keep up the good work

Johan

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Twig,

I really like what you got!!! I like the tightness of each image and many at peak action. I have trouble at times with cropping too loosely. I have had some pro sports shooters offer their opinions on my sports shots and they have commented that my images are too loose. I learned some things by what you posted...thanks for the great examples!!!

400mm huh? Now that would look great attached to my D2H!!!!! :eek:

4. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Thanks for the kind words Frank,
    the cropping I do because my editor shrinks them way down for web display, so he really only wants the face , etc. At first I felt like he wanted everything too close, but it becomes second nature after a few times, however the big things is the lens and proximity.

First the 400mm lens put you right THERE. Second, minor league baseball is much more relaxed, so I can photo behind the catcher between innings, I can rove the dugouts on either side and get quite close. Granted I get a press pass to do this, but jsut hte other day I talked toa hobbyist who calls ahead, requests it and is graned the same rights for shooting.

Anyway, I would recommend you look for a minor league park if you have any that are close, see if you can get on the field. With your 300 on a minor league field I bet you would have a similar experience to what I get. Just don;t stand next to a Canon guy (I was sorta stupid and looked at how clean iso 3200 was coming from a Canon pro next to me, then looked back at iso 1600 on my d2h and sighed.)

Previously I was cropping down to 15-25% of my images (using the 70-200), now these pictures you see are 35-95% of the frame ,a significant improvement. Before I just wasn;t leaving myself enough image pixels to work with.

This picture is most of the original image from my vantage in portrait orientation

[​IMG]

The more I use good equipment in real world situations the better I become, but I must admit that a lot of the images are the quality of the gear. Every step up I take in nikon lenses proves to increase the quality and keeper rate of my shots. The difference from the pro but mass produced quality of the 70-200 and the quality of the 400 exotic are profound, focusing is very accurate and fast, seriously sharp.

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Twig,

I appreciate that you took the time to explain where you've been and what you are doing. We have two minor league clubs very close by plus the Chicago Bandits female pro softball team 10 minutes from the house. I'll give their PR folks a call to see if I can get some special privileges to do some roaming for better shooting. That would be a great opportunity for me.

I have such a difficult time with cropping because my personal taste in composition is to have full body shots when appropriate. A couple of pro shooters that are members of Sportsshooter.com have offered critiques on my images and both advise to crop much, much closer. I don't disagree with their recommendations, not at all, but I like full body shots as well. I would love to be a member of Sportsshooter.com someday...when my images are good enough to be considered, I hope to find a member that would be comfortable enough to sponsor me. I have learned so much from their website, the pros on the site do some wonderful things with their photography. Very humbling to say the least!!!

When funds become more plentiful, I am looking forward to buying a 400mm f/2.8 which will be the perfect piece for shooting the sports that I prefer. My 300mm works great...I have never had a problem with it, but the downside is that it is an ED AF and does not allow for using a TC without rendering it a manual focus lens. That doesn't thrill me at all. So, I continue to shoot and stash some bucks away here and there...and someday, I'll buy the 400.

Thanks again, Twig...I certainly appreciate the extra effort that you gave me in your last post!! 8)

6. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Frank, You will find that many of the minor league parks have somebody with a consumer digicam taking pictures of their team. If you are allowed on the field (which they will do), you should give them your card the next week with some prints of the players, or put up a web gallery of the pictures.

The minor leagers are kids really, 18-22 and their parents go nuts for e-mailed pictures. I give the starting pitcher, etc. my card and they usually have their folks e-mail me, then I send them JPEGS of their kids (who are usually far from home for the first time).

Anyway, the team may also be interested in having your photos for their website (I give them for free, many small teams don;t have the moeny for stuff like that). But the point is if they let you in, giving them e-mailed pics is a great ice breaker, they will love them, and you will get great feedback on your photos (Travis' mother loves how he looks, she doesn;t care about shutter speeds or exposure, and she is really happy to see his pics).

It makes things a lot more fun for everyone, and if you do this, the second time the players will ask you to photo them, you won;t feel like you are a "visitor" in their clubhouse any more. It would probably be the highlight of your summer, I can tell you that working these games is the highlight of mine so far.

For night games you gotta forget a TC anyway, and man would I not want ot dela with AF only, AF-S is pretty important for my skill level. 300/2.8's with AF-S are all over the place now, you could probably judiciously flip your AF for an AF-S, but waiting on a 400 is the way to go. Look for somethign with clean glass but who cares how beat up body , and make sure it wasn;t owned by a working pro - get it from an affluent hobbyist, a casual birder, etc. It really is fantastic, I only wish there was longer 2.8 glass.

With my monopod I don;t care about VR really, I need fast shutters anyway, I just don;t know what more I could want in a lens for this application.

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Twig,

Well, after reading your last post, I plan to head to these local minor league parks and do just what you recommended. I'd be thrilled to get in there and perfect my timing, shoot from angles that I have only dreamed about and have the time of my life. It would be an honor to offer images/jpgs to the club and players/parents for their use. There is plenty of time to make money...the experience is just as valuable.

Thanks for offering the idea...I can't wait to contact them and ask for permission. Hopefully, I'll be posting some images real soon!

8. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Sounds awesome, I really look forward to the pictures.