Brown Creeper.

Such a tiny little bird. You don't realize how much colour it has until you get a close up. look. Besides that, they are so frenetic, moving about the tree without pausing for a second. They tend to flatten their wings a bit while they move up the trunk of a tree - hence they look like they're creeping.
Brown Creeper 3185.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Brown Creeper 3215.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I agree. I am fixated on trying to keep ISO down forgetting that the D6 is forgiving at high ISO. Didn't use a TC on these shots - straight up 500 pf.
I know you didn't use a tele.....LOL! My question was have you tried the 1.4 tele on the 500 PF?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I have tried it a couple of times. Not thrilled with the focus acquisition speed especially in the quality of light we've been having around here lately.
I've only tried the 1.4 tele a few times.....but I wasn't thrilled with the results either.................

Bob, this is the best Brown Creeper shots I've seen. I don't think most folks realize just how difficult it is to get a shot of this little bird, they simply don't sit still, but you've pulled it off. Superb job!
Wow thanks Louis. Patience certainly was tested. that and a few clicks of the shutter. Got some keepers but some "doh...missed it" shots as well. Thankyou for your kind words

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I agree. I am fixated on trying to keep ISO down forgetting that the D6 is forgiving at high ISO. ......

They are for sure.
Steve Perry recommends on GETTING a good shot FIRST with "safe: settings. Then trying "riskier" settings. He also recommends a shutter speed of twice or 3 times the focal length with advanced cameras.

My thought is if the image is OOF, it is going in the trash. So why not go for a keeper shot, then get experimental?

Real Name
Andy
In spite of remarks to the contrary, I really think that first image is sharp enough. And the color and textures are rendered so well. Following Karen's suggestions would certainly take it up a notch incrementally, but I think it is excellent, particularly at screen resolution.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom