Brown nails

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by lbhs_rwb, May 9, 2007.

1. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    I've read that darkroom chemicals can turn your nails brown..and mine are starting to from working with the chemicals so much at school. Any suggestions other than gloves/tongs to help this?

thanks.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Use gloves and tongs. Oh, wait, you said other than that. Hmmm. Go for the goth look, and appreciate it? Keep your fingers out of the chemicals? Wear thick nail polish? Try washing with sodium thiosulfate after handling silver rich fixer.

I'd stick with gloves and tongs.

3. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    ugh..but their soooo inconvenient. We have some tongs, but they are hard to find. And gloves would just be so hard to take on and off. Keep in mind, our darkroom often has 10-15 people in it at a time.

What is sodium thiosulfate?

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I bought myself a package of blue nitrile gloves, extra large - they are pretty easy to put on, and I toss them after one use.

Sodium thiosulfate is a chemical, one of the ingredients of fixer. It dissolves silver salts and will remove it from skin. Whenever I get silver nitrate stains, I wash them off with it. It dries your skin, but is otherwise non-toxic.

5. Why are gloves hard to take on and off? As a paramedic, I probably go through 50-100 pairs of gloves in a 24hr shift....not seeing the problem.

If you get your hands wet/damp, the instead of taking your gloves off (b/c it's hard to put gloves on wet/sweaty hands), put another pair on.

If I can open IV's and rip tape wearing 2-3 pairs of gloves at a multi-trauma on a hot summer day with no AC in the middle of the highway, I'm sure you can manage in a temp controlled photo lab. :wink:

6. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    Our photo lab is actually pretty warm..the thing is, I'd have to take them off after each picture I develop, because if the paper gets wet, it'll mess up. And like I said, there's no place to keep the gloves during a period, because everything gets lost/stolen, and so on. I was just hoping there would be some chemical that could get rid of the brown. IS that what Sodium Thiosulfate would do? Which chemical is it exactly that makes them brown?

7. Can you keep a box in your locker?

8. melba

melba

Apr 2, 2006
    oregon
    Hi, I never use gloves or tongs. When I started doing B/W printing about 26 years ago, my instructor always stressed to us to always wash our hands after every print. It's a good to have clean dry hands when you handle your next sheet of paper, you don't want to touch it with hands that may chemicals on them. (Developer, wash, fixer and then wash your hands.) I have never had brown nails and I print almost everyday. The reason your nails are brown is improper washing, you have chemicals under your nails.

9. or just cut back on the brownies.....

10. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    I do rinse and dry off my hands after every print. Do you wash with soap and really scrub each time?

11. melba

melba

Apr 2, 2006
    oregon
    I don't use soap. Just washing with water thoroughly, leave your hands under the running water for about 10 seconds. And dry really good.

12. matthew.paul

matthew.paul Guest

Honestly, my skin gets really dried out around my finger nails, so I just go for gloves and tongs. Gloves aren't too expensive to throw away...not when you put it in context next to paper and developer, etc.

13. dabluedevil

dabluedevil Guest

I just usually use the tongs that my school has in all the trays. Its way easier than gloves.

14. lbhs_rwb

lbhs_rwb

Oct 16, 2006
    Florida
    Well it doesn't matter until next year, now. Tomorrow is the last darkroom day before cleanup this year. I guess i'll just try washing my hands more throughly first. If that doesn't work for me ill try gloves. I can't use tongs, because our fixer and hypo normally have about 20 prints in there. People leave them and forget about them, and then at the end of the day they're thrown out...so there are too many to go through with tongs.