Browser suggestions ... Safari, Chrome ... other?

Back in the day, when Safari first came out, it had a lot of glitches. I tried a different browser or two, but ended up using Chrome for the past decade.

With setting up a new MBP, I'm curious what options group members would recommend.

Thanks so much,
Wandering Bob

I use Firefox. At the time I chose it long ago, it had the best color management. As an example, Chrome was terrible in that regard. Images displayed on my computer whether using Firefox, my cataloging software or post-processing software appear the same, so I assume its color management is still effective. My point is that you might want to take color management into account when selecting your browser. On the other hand, for all I know, all browsers might be equal now regarding color management.

Browser preferences are as much about muscle memory as anything else. I have long kept two or three browsers on my computers, mostly out of habit formed when web sites often had browser specific issues. That is rarely true these days and I use Firefox out of habit because it was the browser that usually worked across sites.

I recently replaced a fried MBPro and used Safari for about a week and it was fine. I think most modern browsers are probably mostly feature and performance equivalent. Use what you are familiar with.

I use different browsers for different things but my main one is Chrome. I like the synchronizing between gmail, maps, bookmarks, devices, passwords, etc. I have never liked Safari but mainly because it was too basic for my needs.

At any given time I have Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Brave installed on my machines.

Back in my Windows days, I used Firefox because IE was so unreliable, but I always felt that Firefox was kludgy and slowed things down a bit. When I got my first Mac in 2005 I immediately liked Safari and how much quicker and smoother it seemed. For a while, though, there were some sites which didn't play well with Safari and so I reluctantly installed and used Firefox and Chrome to access those. Once there were no longer any problems with Safari accessing any and all sites, I uninstalled the other two, as I really didn't like them and also because Chrome was very much of a memory hog. These days I continue to use just Safari and am quite happy with it.

Real Name
Ken
I do not know if it is available for the Mac, but many who value their privacy have been recommending Brave over more common browsers like Chrome.

--Ken

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I do not know if it is available for the Mac, but many who value their privacy have been recommending Brave over more common browsers like Chrome.

--Ken
Brave seems a terrible idea. It edits the web pages you see by removing anything it thinks is an ad. And then it inserts its own ads into those web pages to replace them!
It is a hacked about thing based on Chromium. (It is available for the Mac)

On a related topic, if you want a search engine that is not collecting your data, then you want DuckDuckGo, https://duckduckgo.com/
Read about it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuckDuckGo

What I like most about Safari is that I can keep my most-used bookmarks in a little dock bar at the top of the browser window. One click and I'm there.

There is probably a way to do that with the other browsers, I just haven't looked hard.

What I like most about Safari is that I can keep my most-used bookmarks in a little dock bar at the top of the browser window. One click and I'm there.

There is probably a way to do that with the other browsers, I just haven't looked hard.
This is a feature on every modern day browser. It's called the bookmarks bar. In Chrome, View --> Always Show Bookmarks Bar.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I love the bookmarks bar -- with Apple, it is on all of my devices (somewhat different format on the iPhone, though). Gone are the days when I used to keep a printed list of all my bookmarks and their URLS in readiness for whenever I was setting up a new (Windows) computer! That Apple seamless integration at work again.....
If you use Firefox your bookmarks are automatically synchronised across all your devices, whether Macs, Windows desktops or laptops, Android tablets, Samsung phones, iPhones, iPads etc. Seamless across all platforms.

Real Name
Ken
Brave seems a terrible idea. It edits the web pages you see by removing anything it thinks is an ad. And then it inserts its own ads into those web pages to replace them!
It is a hacked about thing based on Chromium. (It is available for the Mac)

On a related topic, if you want a search engine that is not collecting your data, then you want DuckDuckGo, https://duckduckgo.com/
Read about it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuckDuckGo
Yes, I am not a fan of their ad system, but it is an interesting model. And while I would agree that DDG is a great search engine, it does not fully address the question of the browser. I admit that I still use Chrome, which is a far cry from its origins, and I know some folks recommended Brave as it was based on Chromium, but I have not yet made any permanent switch. Then again, I often use a Chromebook in Guest mode, so I am not quite as concerned about my search habits as they are wiped out after each session.

--Ken

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Yes, I am not a fan of their ad system, but it is an interesting model. And while I would agree that DDG is a great search engine, it does not fully address the question of the browser. I admit that I still use Chrome, which is a far cry from its origins, and I know some folks recommended Brave as it was based on Chromium, but I have not yet made any permanent switch. Then again, I often use a Chromebook in Guest mode, so I am not quite as concerned about my search habits as they are wiped out after each session.

--Ken
The more you read about Brave, its origins, the people, the money it raised and so on, the worse it gets. It seems they raised the initial capital by throwing in a new cryptocurrency, something naive investors still love to hear about. They are already facing lawsuits from powerful companies over manipulating their web pages. My guess is that their money will run out before the revenue builds and it will vanish.

For someone who cares about privacy a simple solution is to use private browsing mode in Firefox or Incognito mode in Chrome. They do the same thing for privacy but without the advertising manipulations.

Real Name
Ken
The more you read about Brave, its origins, the people, the money it raised and so on, the worse it gets. It seems they raised the initial capital by throwing in a new cryptocurrency, something naive investors still love to hear about. They are already facing lawsuits from powerful companies over manipulating their web pages. My guess is that their money will run out before the revenue builds and it will vanish.

For someone who cares about privacy a simple solution is to use private browsing mode in Firefox or Incognito mode in Chrome. They do the same thing for privacy but without the advertising manipulations.
Didn't hear about the cryptocurrency. That is quite interesting. This does make me wonder how they got such press when launched. I do agree about Incognito; this is what the Chromebook Guest mode offers. Thanks for the additional information.

--Ken

I work on both Windows and Mac computers. Chrome works great for me as it syncs my bookmarks, plugins, and settings across all my devices. I sill use Safari on my phone and iPads, but should take some time and set up Chrome there too.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I always use both Firefox and Chrome at the same time. It allows one to be logged into a WordPress site and also not be logged into it, and similar tricks with many other sites, in some cases being logged into financial websites as two different people at the same time. I usually have about 25 websites open in Firefox and 6 websites open in Chrome. They are very reliable nowadays, I never get problems.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom