Bruce Anstey

Superbike TT, 2017.

The Isle of man Tourist Trophy is run against the clock, your race number is your start line position number; it is a time trial against the clock.

So here #2 Bruce Anstey (Honda) has caught and passed #1 David Johnson (Norton), who would have left the start line 10 seconds ahead of him. He has chased him down and passed him.

Also no one else has come into sight yet, at the top of the road at Kate's Cottage - but eventually they were both overhauled (overtaken).

Here they are slowing down for the right hander at the pub called Creg-Ny-Baa.

35208250721_b5c853601a_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Bruce Anstey and Dave Johnson by 660 Mattie, on Flickr

I've been following the TT since I was a kid back in the 1970's. Nice to see Bruce Anstey is still hanging around.

Nice shot. I would love to see, and photograph the TT, some day.

Wow - a keen interest - maybe family interested in racing ?

The TT is getting popular again, after a dark time when they lost their World Championship status. Hotels are already booked up for 2018 race week.

Bruce Anstey won the electric bike race this year - one lap race - very pleased for him.

Lots of picture taking possibilities, if you ever get to go.
Personally I thought that racing history is happening in front of me, so wanted to record that, rather than a close up picture of a motorcycle. I wanted a bit of the location in the picture as well.

Not sure if you have seen the film that probably catapulted Guy Martin to fame: TT3D Closer To The Edge 2011 documentary.It is a 2 hr long film.

You may have to excuse the odd bit of British word choice ! - but human and engaging all the same.

I've always been interested in "road racing". Mostly cars, but also motorcycles. Cafe racers always looked so cool in the motorcycle magazines.

My first street bike was a 1973 Yamaha RD350. That was one sweet bike. I always wanted to turn it into a cafe racer, but never did. Sold it to a friend, and he took great care of that bike.

I spent many weekends at Road Atlanta, and other tracks, in my teens, and twenties. A friend raced in IMSA, and I worked in his crew (off and on) for several years.

That video won't work in the US...apparently some type of copyright issue. I did see Guy Martin on a TV special, recently, where he was trying to break the land speed record for motorcycles. Saw his crash in the TT, too. He is one of the great characters in the TT.

A keen interest indeed, and a hands-on interest to boot.

From that time I remember friends older brothers had these legendary bikes that seemed so big to me ! now them seem so small compared to what I remember at the time !

Maybe try a search for TT3D Closer to the Edge, it is worth watching - a cult classic, narrated by an American, Jared Leto.

Maybe try a search for TT3D Closer to the Edge, it is worth watching - a cult classic, narrated by an American, Jared Leto.

Found it! Thanks.

If you like Formula 1, there is a great movie called "Lap Of The Gods". It is a compilation of on-board shots of F1 cars from the 1970's and 1980's driving around the various tracks. I'm not sure the entire movie is on youtube, but many (or all) of the individual clips are. Great old school driving. One of my favorites.

If you search for "F1 Lap Of the Gods" on youtube, you will find 25+ clips.

Here is one:

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom