1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

BRUSHING CHEWS FOR DOGS

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by dburanich, Jun 11, 2016.

1. I know there are a lot of dog lovers here so I thought I would start this thread to see if anyone has noticed any success with this product.

http://www.milkbone.com/products/brushing-chews-dental-treats

After having spent over $400 to have our 5 year old Lab's teeth cleaned while under anesthesia I decided to try these to see if they really work. The vet thought the anesthesia route was the best way to do it since they were so bad and while under the anesthesia they removed a very small growth on his elbow as well.

So far we are noticing a significant improvement in his breath but I think a lot of that may be due to the deep cleaning. They ended up being a very nice white after the cleaning. No extractions were needed.
    As far as if they really are brushing his teeth, I think it's too early to tell yet since they were just cleaned two months ago. They still are just as white as they were after the cleaning. Have any of you experienced what you consider proof that the brushing chews do work?
    Are there other options out there that help their teeth. Actual brushing would probably be the best solution but I usually find myself never getting around to it as that's what let them get so bad to begin with.
    Many use biscuits but I have not found one that seems to do the job. He was on biscuits and still ended up needing the cleaning. Would love to hear about any solutions or recommendations.

2. I give georgie a chew every morning, not the one you noted but a Denta bone. She likes them but I did pay a grand to the vet for her teeth to be cleaned and a lump removed recently, so they help but you will still need to get the dog's teeth cleaned professionally time to time.

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

3. I agree Alexis.
    Occasional professional cleanings are definitely in order.
    I just don't want his teeth to ever get as bad as they were.
    I would always have the groomers brush his teeth when he was there but I guess it just wasn't enough.
    The reason I selected the Milk Bone brand was it was the only one I could find that was endorsed by the VOHC (Veterinary Oral Health Council) so I was giving that a lot of weight in my selection.
    I'm glad to hear the Denta Bone is working to your satisfaction.
    I may give them a try if I do not see desired results with the Milk Bone.

4. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    We have used Greenies (VOHC approved) as an evening treat for over 25 years....with three Springer Spaniels. Also our neighbors use Greenies with a Long-haired Daschund and a Pomeranian. The dogs love them! The dogs in question chew them up pretty good and don't swallow them whole.

However, the dogs still require professional cleaning every 3-5 years. Our dog just had his teeth cleaned, a fatty cyst removed from his shoulder, and a small growth removed from the inside of his ear. The total cost was $350 including biopsies and pain medication for 6 days.

5. Our girls just chew on plain old milk bones. So far, so good!

6. We looked at the Greenies since they were VOHC approved but went with Milk Bone since they were a little less expensive.
    The real proof will be in the results.
    Our dogs have only been on them for a couple of months so it's a little early to tell.
    Saving a little money doesn't mean a thing if the product doesn't do what it is supposed to do.

7. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I buy the Greenies from Chewy.com.....no tax, free shipping...and much less expensive that the local pet stores....even at "sale" prices! I don't sign up for regular deliveries...but the savings is still substantial.

8. Thanks Karen.
    They are definitely more in line with what I am paying.

9. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    And if your vet is charging very high prices.....check around. There is a very well know vet in this area that is known to mis-diagnose/over charge because he/she has learned that people will pay almost anything to take care of their pets.

When it comes to our pets....we can be very vulnerable!

10. I think I may be at a point to give the Little Greenies a try.
    Our Lab who had his teeth cleaned by the vet still look great.
    Our little Chihuahua dacschund mix looks like he has a little bit of darkening on his back upper teeth.
    One thing I have noticed about the brushing chews is just after eating they are both excessively thirsty.
    Does this happen with little greenies as well?

11. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I've never noticed it, but then they typically drink after eating, walking, etc. so I've just not noticed drinking being excessive. I don't know if it helps a lot for teeth cleaning.....but they love the greenies and they will get a treat of some kind late in the evening, so it might as well be a greenie! LOL!

12. Karen,
    They are actually funny to watch.
    Immediately after they are finished with their brushing chews they both run over to the water bowl and drink more than I usually see them drink at one time. I've been reading some of the online advertisements for the brushing chews and it says to make sure plenty of water is available for your pet.
    Between the excessive water drinking which I'm not sure is good for them and the darkening of some of the little dog's teeth I think I'm going to try the Little Greenies. Definitely need a cleaning trip at the vet for the little guy.

13. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I don't see how drinking water can be harmful...unless it causes interruption of my sleep to take them out! LOL!

14. Today was the first day we tried the Greenies.
    Even though they have the very same texture as the Brushing Chews there was no excessive drinking afterward.
    The Greenies also seem to be softer and easier to chew on than the others.
    They both went over to get a drink afterward but nothing out of the ordinary.
    If anything it just makes me wonder what is in the Brushing Chews to make them so thirsty.
    I guess we'll give the Greenies a try for a few months and see if we see any improvements.
    So far, so good.

15. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Great! Last night I noticed ours do drink afterwards, but nothing I would call extreme.

Give us an update after you've had time to assess them. We use them mainly because the dogs just LOVE them. One each night. Hopefully there are side benefits also.

16. They drank a little but nothing extreme.
    With the Brushing Chews immediately they would drink the entire water bowl in the course of about 5-10 minutes.
    I think the bowl holds 36 oz.
    70 lb Lab and 14 lb Chihuahua Dachsund mix.

17. Just wanted to give everyone an update to this thread from not quite a year and a half ago.
    We still have both our dogs on the Greenies.
    Our Lab who had his teeth cleaned by the Vet initially still has teeth just as white as they can be.
    The Chihuahua / Dacschund mix who had darkening of his teeth a year and a half ago now has very good looking white teeth without a major cleaning from the Vet. We took them both in for an exam yesterday and that was the doctor's opinion. It appears the year and a half on the Greenies has been preventive but also served as a thorough cleaning for the little one.

18. We have 2 Chihuahua mixes and have been using these now for about 2 years. Work great for us.

Ark Naturals Breath-less Brushless Toothpaste, Dental Chews for Mini and Small Dogs, Plaque, Tartar, and Bacteria Control, Chewable, Easy Digestion, Mess Free, Natural Ingredients, 4 oz. Bag https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006H77IXW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_4GNNBbHW9T9ZS

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.