1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Brutal self portrait

Discussion in 'People' started by Mitchell, Sep 25, 2008.

1. I have to take a series of portraits of my oldest daughter this weekend. I've been curious about using the 105mmVR on my D2Xs as a portrait lens. This glass is brutally sharp. It also works well as a nice FL on a DX body.

Any thoughts? Yes, I realize I look rough around the edges after a long day at work. Surgery started at 0630 today.:eek: 

380332706_RkjYY-XL.

2. Yeah, the lens is sharp and considerd by some to sharp for portrait work. But I use mine in the studio, on the D300 and (usually) D700 almost every day.
    I made a close shot today with it, and I believe it to be the first macro photo I have used it on. Bonus, it's a great macro lens too!

3. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Very nice Mitchell...you're a cutie patootie! And you are so right...this image is extremely sharp. Good job.

4. truflip

truflip

Jul 28, 2008
    Ottawa, ON
    nice lighting. what is your set up?

5. I like the lighting.(bad subject choice) LOL!!!!

6. Charles, thanks for commenting on the lens. I've often wondered about this lens for portraits. The sharpness is striking. Almost too sharp and clinical looking for my tastes. I'm not sure this would be flattering in women's portraits.

7. Thanks, Seneca!! Shocking to me to see what I look like at the end of the day. I clean up better than this.:cool: 

I'm just glad I finally got a self portrait in focus. The jury is still out on using this lens for Stefanie's portraits.

8. Just shot this in my south facing garage with the door open. No reflectors used. This was taken late in the day. I usually do these shots early in the morning when the garage light is softer.

9. Not bad

Not bad, not bad, two things I would change:

One: I would use a little fill light or reflectors for the dark edges.

Two: I would get the model to smile, show some teeth will ya! :wink::biggrin:

10. I usually add a reflector for these. That is a good point.

No smile or teeth for my "serious" look.:cool: 

11. Nchesher

Nchesher

Jul 7, 2006
    Lansing,MI
    What about PP? I could make 10years disappear in 5 minutes. Honestly I think the pose is just a little off. I want to see the top of your head angled just a touch more. It makes a huge difference. I'm afraid to do a self portrait.

12. I read the post and thought the question regarded the lens. Sorry bout that, I made my reply regarding the lens.

13. Charles, your comments were right on target. I'm more curious about people's impressions regarding this lens for portraits than I am about this photo. Your insight was helpful.

The pose and PP on this photo were not the primary reason for posting. I will admit that I was pleased with Seneca's response.:wink:

14. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    You have a new Avatar now right?! :) 

My beginner opinion is that this would be good for portraits as you're going to get great sharpness in the eyes and you can use PP to soften any "too sharp" areas you'd like to

15. Good thought here, Leah. My goal would be to do as little PP as possible. I'd like to create a flattering portrait in camera.

16. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    Very nice sp Mitchell. Great light. Super sharp :) 

17. I think it looks like the lens did a great job for you. Nice portrait. I'll be interested to see your daughter's portraits.

18. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Ohhh and btw..I'm $70.00 lighter in the billfold. :biggrin:

19. The 105 is a good idea, but you're using the wrong version. You want the 105/2DC :wink:.

20. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    I really like this Mitch. The fade into the shadows is pretty cool. I know I told you this before, but you look the part my friend. :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.