Bryce Canyon & Zion

I was in Utah this week and had an opportunity to visit Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks. Although I've lived in Phoenix most of my life, I never took the time to visit these parks. I always assumed that they would pale in comparison to the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon and the other incredible natural wonders of Arizona. Needless to say, I was in for a BIG surprise. Utah is a gem and I assure you, I'll be back!

I’m in a hotel in Salt Lake City and have to catch a flight out very early tomorrow morning, but I did manage to get one photo ready to post. I’ll get the others up on pbase later in the week.

original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Haze,
My daughter in law is there right now hiking in both of those parks. I'll send her this thread and also will send the pictures you post later.
Thanks for showing us this beauty!

Nice shot, haze! It has been a long time since I toured those parks, but I have fond memories. Here are a couple of mine, scanned from slides.

Taken using self-timer and tripod:

123792866-L.jpg

This one with my 24mm f/2.8 - an exercise in depth-of-field:

123819987-L.jpg

-- Russ

Thanks everyone for the comments, this is really a beautiful place.

Jeff, this is a hikers paradise and yes, I did a lot of hiking. My next visit I will have a much better idea of where I want to go and what I want to do and hiking will play a bigger role.

Nate, you will have a blast! There is SO MUCH to see in southern Utah.

Alex, I'm not sure if I can pick a favorite, but agree that Bryce and Zion are amazing.

Gaye, I'm jealous of your daughter, I wish I was back there right now!

Russ, great shots! I would love to return next winter for some snow shots.

Haze,

Very nice shots indeed! I love the South-West. We are looking to move there sometime in the near future, somewhere close to Phoenix. Thanks again for sharing.

Regards...Jim

Nice Picture. There used to be an old saying: Ice Never Fails. My saying is: Bryce Never Fails.

For somebody who lives on the East coast I have spent as much time in southern Utah as possible. Zion is my favorite park, but they each have their own character.

I wish Gordon (greyflash) would trade houses with me for a year. ... are you listening Gordon?

Last edited by a moderator:
The one time I was there (ten years ago or so) I was humping a 4x5 wood view camera and wood tripod around, so I didn't hike down into the canyon. I did get some nice Ektachrome transparencies from the rim though.

I wish I could go back, but I no longer own a car.

I finally got some pictures posted on my pbase site, but there is still a lot of editing to be done and many of the current pictures won't make the final cut. These initial shots are up to appease a few family members that wanted to see something "right now!". Stop by for a look if you like. Southern Utah is magic!

79159320.gif

View attachment 96304

Good question! My camera is tripod mounted and is taking the picture. The camera I'm standing next to belongs to my shooting buddy.

Latest threads

Top Bottom