BSOD - new build help!?

Put together my new desktop and had it running for two days, then it started the dreaded bsod. Looks like winloader.exe is missing or corrupt. I tried pulling the drive and running it on a different system and got the same error.

I downloaded and licensed Windows 8 Professional and am waiting on the hard dvd media (a week and a half now). I didn't add new hardware or update any components or drivers immediately prior to the boot error.

I have also run ckdsk via usb on another computer and found no errors. Not really sure what to do while waiting on the dvd, but does anyone have any suggestions for a fix? Thought about burning an iso and trying that, but will that work the same? I'm admittedly in a little over my head with this one!

As soon as I get it running again, I'll be making a boot and repair thumb drive. Don't know why I didn't do that immediately. Got over-confident I suppose :redface:

Ant suggestions are greatly appreciated...

Hard to say without handling the drive.
But my first move would be if you can afford the loss of data on the hard drive. (probably)
To go the hard drive vendor web site and download the troubleshooting software and run it as instructed. This would test for hardware defects and may if it finds defects get enough info's to get a Warranty exchange or just purchase a new drive.
Then if the drive is good start from scratch with a good format and new partitions to redo the logical part of the drive.

After that who knows it may never happens again. :)
But for emergency scan/repair and maintenance I always use my licensed copy of "SpinRite" this software got me out of troubles many times.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Sounds like a faulty or corrupt drive or bad cable.

How did you put the operating system on it? Which operating system? SSD?

Some tips.

Scan and repair system files
Run in an elevated command prompt:
sfc /scannow

Is it really a BSOD (they don't exist any more) or just a boot error saying a file is missing?

If it is a real crash then Windows writes a dump file. This is incredibly helpful because it can point to what is wrong if you can interpret it. This free service does it for you:
http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=analyze

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Will look into all these suggestions.

Richard, it's not an SSD. I pulled the HDD from my laptop and currently using it. I recently updated to Windows 8 Pro. The laptop has some age on it and it's now "retired". The error I'm getting is (apparently) a boot error and is usually given on a blue screen. The error code is usually 0xc00000e, though sometimes I get a code 0xc000021e. Google shows the first code is related to a missing or corrupt winloader.exe file (though there is some inconsistency in the search results). The second seems to be a generic boot error code.

I did pull the drive and reinstall it in the original laptop and got the same message, so it seems like the corrupt file theory might hold water. Also, since I ran a diagnostic on the drive connected to yet another machine via USB, and it showed no errors, I'm guessing the drive is mechanically sound. It hasn't been dropped or otherwise mishandled.

I'm waiting on the physical media from Microsoft so I can run the repair windows tool on the DVD. It's just taking REALLY long time to get here! A clean install is a possibility since I had only very recently done the official update and all my files are backed up on two external drives.

Regarding the osronline link, that looks very interesting, but it's unclear how I might access the dump file(s) since I can't boot. Then again, that's probably an accurate indicator of my skill level in system maintenance!

Here's another tidbit that might provide a clue...
I'm using a high end Asus mobo (P8Z77-V Premium). It has all sorts of features, among those are a pre-boot software from which all sorts of adjustments can be made at the bios level. I can get into that screen just fine by pressing the F8 button during the boot. There is no diagnostic software that I can find in there, though.

If it's a built system, check your memory voltage through BIOS.
Set it too high or low, it will give you boot errors.

That was a promising idea, but I just checked - the DRAM is running at 1.5v - the manufacturer's recommended voltage (Crucial).

That second error message was incorrect - I meant to type 0xc000021a (not e).

http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

in particular:
0xC000021A: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED
(Click to consult the online Win XP Resource Kit article, or see Windows 2000 Professional Resource Kit, p. 1561.)
This occurs when Windows switches into kernel mode and a user-mode subsystem, such as Winlogon or the Client Server Runtime Subsystem (CSRSS), is compromised. Security can no longer be guaranteed. Because Win XP can’t run without Winlogon or CSRSS, this is one of the few situations where the failure of a user-mode service can cause the system to stop responding. This Stop message also can occur as a result of malware infestation or when the computer is restarted after a system administrator has modified permissions so that the SYSTEM account no longer has adequate permissions to access system files and folders.

Essentially it is just saying that a required kernel file cannot be accessed for some reason it can't explain. I want to say the hard drive is faulty in that area and it can't retrieve files from it after its been written to. Have you tried a low level format? That is, if you don't have anything on the drive you want to keep. Or a chkdsk /r to search for bad sectors? I've actually seen something similar to this a couple of times over the years.

You may want to verify your RAM also, just in case. I've also seen where it won't write a file correctly to the hard drive due to a faulty address its writing through in memory. Memtest86 has prebuilt ISO's if you want to test using it: http://www.memtest.org/

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I strongly agree with running memtest from a bootable CDROM. Leave it running overnight.

Did you take an image backup before when the drive was working? (You should have done).

If you did, then reformat the drive and restore that image. Then try with the drive in the laptop and in the new system. That should pin it down. If you need to, buy a new drive
and restore the image to that.

If you did not, then format the drive and install from scratch. As soon as you have all your software installed, make an image backup, in case it fails or gets corrupted again.

If it was me I would have ordered a new drive already. Drives are cheap and the old one could always be reused or returned to the laptop.

Real Name
David
Run the memtest for one.

Richard, it's not an SSD. I pulled the HDD from my laptop and currently using it. I recently updated to Windows 8 Pro. The laptop has some age on it and it's now "retired".......

I did pull the drive and reinstall it in the original laptop and got the same message, so it seems like the corrupt file theory might hold water. ........
Ok, maybe I'm missing something here. But are you saying you installed windows 8 on the drive in the laptop then pulled it as is and booted the desktop? And then tried to put it back into the Laptop?

If so this is a BAD idea. While it might work I would NEVER recommend it.

It has all sorts of features, among those are a pre-boot software from which all sorts of adjustments can be made at the bios level. I can get into that screen just fine by pressing the F8 button during the boot. There is no diagnostic software that I can find in there, though.
That would be the UEFI, which is the replacement for the BIOS. Many say UEFI BIOS, but that's not truly correct. Many UEFI do support legacy BIOS features. So it's not always clear. And many companies, Asus included, don't help when they say their motherboards have "USB BIOS Flashback" to update the BIOS.....

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up just reinstalling Win from the backup media they sent. I never was able to get it running from the suggestions given. The good news is it reinstalled and saved the previous copy as windows.old so none of my data was lost. Of course that means no diagnosis, which is a little worrisome.

Yes, it is a uefi setup. And Asus does liberally mix that with the term bios.

Going backpacking tomorrow, but will copy the drive when I return. Meanwhile, I picked up a 128gb Surface Pro and love it. I probably would've gone with an iPad, but I'm getting a second degree and my school uses an online software that is heavily flash dependent.

Next step in my desktop build is picking up a 240gb ssd and then 16 more gb ram. I encoded a fair bit of video today and was truly amazed. It wasn't fast, but it would've quite literally been impossible prior to this build. That said, it was 1080p video, so I didn't expect it to go quickly. My bottleneck now is my 7200rpm drive. My Windows Experience scores are 7.9s and 8.3s except data transfer which is a lowly 5.3 Prior to this build, 5.3 was my HIGHEST score! The mobo "autotunes" the 2700k processor to 5.1ghz. I'm not complaining at all...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom