bubbles or bug or both?

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Greg, May 21, 2005.

1. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    found this on a pine tree. Looks like there was another near by that had dried to a crust and had a hole in it. Is this a nightly protection device for one bug and then makes another the following night? Total size is about 1 inch. I have seen these over the past couple of weeks on the same branch. they always appear fresh.

Anyone got any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. Hi Greg!

What resides in this foamy home is the nymph of a spittle bug (Fam. Cercopidae).
    This is what one of the many websites has to say:

"Commonly refered to as spittle bugs, nymphs are more often encountered, but are seldom seen because of the mass of thick foam which surrounds them. These masses are most often seen on herbaceous plants which provide food for the nymphs and adults."

The adults look like leaf hoppers, but in resting position they rather look like tiny frogs.
    It can be quite a nuisance when you walk through a meadow and the plants are full with them. You may afterwards look like a lot of people had spit at you :lol:

cheers

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Spitting nymphs and alien flowers Greg.????

Flew out howling at the moon and you talking to pine trees at night. hummmmm

I am convinced you and Flew have some special weeds at your pond.

However, that is a good shot.

And Harry thanks for explaining that bug.

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I'm with Gale...I think we've got some wierd stuff going on up here....seriously though...cool capture!

5. Interesting story and image as well.